Tertiary Brachiopods

nala

.....but collectively called cenozoic or cainozoic.

Yes, Tertiary + Quaternary = Cenozoic.

I don't know why they kept the Quaternary instead of merging it with the Neogene - it's so small, and they've already done away with the Primary, Secondary and Tertiary. I guess the Ice Age warranted a new period, and the Quaternary was the term in use. :wacko:

This is an interesting thread and I am enjoying it. However I do need to impose a question upon this subject.

Years ago I collected a single brachiopod while collecting at the Gosport Sand Formation, Claiborne Group, Eocene, at Little Stave Creek in Alabama. I have never been able to identify this brachiopod. Photos of various views of this brachiopod (which is only about 2-3 mm in length) are shown below. Hopefully someone can provide me an identification.

I believe brachiopods from the Gosport sand are pretty rare.

post-8-0-79813600-1330358732_thumb.jpg

post-8-0-90668000-1330358775_thumb.jpg

post-8-0-11100800-1330358816_thumb.jpg

post-8-0-32373000-1330358845_thumb.jpg

post-8-0-50364000-1330358877_thumb.jpg

Jim

The Eocene is my favorite

Hi Jim

It appears to be a species of Argyrotheca. I looked in my coppy of "Some Tertiary Briachiopds of the East Coast of the United States" G. Arthur Cooper, Smithsonian Contributions to Paleobiology No. 64, 1988 Link here http://www.sil.si.ed...o/SCtP-0064.pdf. None are listed from the Eocene of Alabama but are in NJ, SC and NC. I will have to do a little digging but I am supposed to be working right now. Rare to say the least.

Mike

Edited by MikeR

"A problem solved is a problem caused"--Karl Pilkington

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain

It's nice to see some brachs that have been taken out of the oven sooner.

Context is critical.

Hi Jim

It appears to be a species of Argyrotheca. I looked in my coppy of "Some Tertiary Briachiopds of the East Coast of the United States" G. Arthur Cooper, Smithsonian Contributions to Paleobiology No. 64, 1988 Link here http://www.sil.si.ed...o/SCtP-0064.pdf. None are listed from the Eocene of Alabama but are in NJ, SC and NC. I will have to do a little digging but I am supposed to be working right now. Rare to say the least.

Mike

Mike,

Thank you for the response. And especially thanks for the link to your reference. It has a really great bibliography. I have not collected many brachiopods and I am real inadequate when it comes to the definitions of the various family and genus.

Jim

The Eocene is my favorite

This is an interesting thread and I am enjoying it. However I do need to impose a question upon this subject.

Years ago I collected a single brachiopod while collecting at the Gosport Sand Formation, Claiborne Group, Eocene, at Little Stave Creek in Alabama. I have never been able to identify this brachiopod. Photos of various views of this brachiopod (which is only about 2-3 mm in length) are shown below. Hopefully someone can provide me an identification.

I believe brachiopods from the Gosport sand are pretty rare.

Jim

That is an interesting brachiopod and the inflated valves along with the pointed beak remind me more of Probolarina. The problem with the publication "Some Tertiary Brachiopods of the East Coast of the US" is that it doesn't include all the known brachiopods. It leaves out some common ones and some that were described in the early 1900s. Cooper has several other publications through the Smithsonian that are available. One is "Genera of Tertiary and Recent Rhynchonelloid Brachiopods" from the Miscellaneous Collections, volume 139. Your brachiopod might be there or it might be undescribed.

Another problem with the Cooper publication is that maybe in 1988 it was decided to place the Jackson Group which has been traditionally Upper Eocene as Oligocene. His locations state the "Zeuglodon beds" which is the Pachuta Marl Member of the Yazoo Clay, so Upper Eocene. One useful fact, at least for me, was that the photo that I posted of Terebratulina lachryma is actual Terebratulina alabamensis. Cooper in his discription even states that the species in Alabama has been listed as T. lachryma but is different. I have since updated my picture with the correct name. A useful thread indeed!

Mike

Edited by MikeR

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain

Al Dente,

I will have to look through some of my concentrate to see if I have any of those. Invertebrates are rare in the bonebed. When found, they are usually just molds of gastropods (shell always gone).

The formation is actually the Round Mountain Silt. The Temblor started slipping from usage when referring to STH in the 1930's and is now used for a separate Middle Miocene formation exposed farther north.

Jess

Discinisca loeli

Miocene

Temblor Formation

Kern County, California

Ulysses S Grant - the grandson of the president, coauthored the paper that described this species. It is from the Shark Tooth Hill bone bed. It is a tiny brachiopod that measures 2.5 mm.

post-2301-0-21019200-1330201832_thumb.jpg

The formation is actually the Round Mountain Silt. The Temblor started slipping from usage when referring to STH in the 1930's and is now used for a separate Middle Miocene formation exposed farther north.

Jess

I did a little searching online and I see you are correct. The funny thing is I was able to find fairly recent abstracts from geologic talks that are still refering to the Round Mountain Silt as a member of the Temblor Formation.

I found this brachiopod while searching through matrix while looking for small shark and ray material. I've found two of them and still have several pounds of material left. This is an inarticulate brachiopod that has phosphatic shell so even though calcitic mollusk shells have dissolved away, these will remain. I find similar brachiopods while searching through matrix from the phosphate mines from Aurora and from Morocco. I'll try to locate my Morocco material and photograph the brachiopods.

Very nice topic! I can contribute a little to this topic as well: a German Oligocene Terebratula grandis. Scalebar is in centimetres.

Sincerely,

Bram

post-4687-0-99969100-1330535563_thumb.jpg

post-4687-0-91912800-1330535596_thumb.jpg

post-4687-0-88887300-1330535628_thumb.jpg

post-4687-0-85603500-1330535650_thumb.jpg

Fossils: a way of life

Yes, I have also seen recent articles (e.g. Lynch and Parham, 2003) using the Temblor as the formation. I started actively researching the STH bonebed about ten years ago and read as much as I could to answer the "Round Mountain Silt vs. Temblor" question for myself. It seemed like there were two camps of geologists interpreting in different directions. After reading Addicott (1970) and Bartow & McDougall (1984), I settled on Round Mountain Silt because both offered detailed and updated explanations for their support of the name.

Addicott, W.A. 1970.

Miocene Gastropods and Biostratigraphy of the Kern River Area, California. Geological Survey Professional Paper 642.

(this one even has a chart showing the evolution of the understanding of Bakersfield's regional geology)

Bartow, J.A. and K. McDougall. 1984.

Tertiary Stratigraphy of the Southeastern San Joaquin Valley, California. Contributions to Stratigraphy. Geological Survey Bulletin 1529-J.

Lynch, S.C. annd J.F. Parham. 2003.

The first report of hard-shelled sea turtles (Cheloniidae sensu lato) from the Miocene of California, including a new species (Euclastes hutchisoni) with unusually plesiomorphic characters. PaleoBios 23(3): 21-35.

I did a little searching online and I see you are correct. The funny thing is I was able to find fairly recent abstracts from geologic talks that are still refering to the Round Mountain Silt as a member of the Temblor Formation.

I found this brachiopod while searching through matrix while looking for small shark and ray material. I've found two of them and still have several pounds of material left. This is an inarticulate brachiopod that has phosphatic shell so even though calcitic mollusk shells have dissolved away, these will remain. I find similar brachiopods while searching through matrix from the phosphate mines from Aurora and from Morocco. I'll try to locate my Morocco material and photograph the brachiopods.

Nice specimen Xenocidaris :) I saw on the web,you could find this species in the Netherlands,thanks to share!

http://www.wtkg.org/ov_002.html

Hello Nala,

Indeed they can be found in The Netherlands too (but are quite rare as far as I know - the specimen you are refering too was dredged up by a fishing vessel), aswell as another species of Terebratula, namely T. perforata, of which I attached an image. These are from 'De Kaloot', The Netherlands, and are probably Pliocene, possibly Miocene, in age.

Sincerely,

Bram

post-4687-0-71394400-1330900805_thumb.jpg

Fossils: a way of life

• 11 months later...

Its incredible how much this block looks exactly like it could be part of the Oleneothyris biostrome bed in NJ.

Next is a matrix block containing many Oleneothyris harlani (Morton, 1828), Lower Paleocene, Beaufort Formation, Craven County North Carolina.

---Wie Wasser schleift den Stein, wir steigen und fallen---

Its incredible how much this block looks exactly like it could be part of the Oleneothyris biostrome bed in NJ.

It is the same age and I have collected the same species in NJ.

Oleneothyris harlani

Paleocene

North Carolina

These are the largest brachiopods found in North Carolina. The shell is very thick on one end and very thin on the other.

attachicon.gifOleneothyris.group.JPG attachicon.gifOleneothyris.hand.JPG

Are they from Grifton? :wub:

Erosion... will be my epitaph!

http://www.paleonature.org/

https://fossilnews.org/

Are they from Grifton? :wub:

Yes. I was never able to get permission to collect at the quarry but I was able to locate piles of material from the quarry that were loaded with brachiopods. All of them were crushed on one end.

Edited by Al Dente

Terebratula ampulla from the Pliocene of Almeria Spainpost-2325-0-10819100-1362090072_thumb.jpg,an other big terebratula sp

Yes. I was never able to get permission to collect at the quarry but I was able to locate piles of material from the quarry that is loaded with brachiopods. All of them are crushed on one end.

I was there a couple of time. Good quarry, really beautiful Arbacia echnoid :)

ou are right, all brachiopods were broken... actually, if I remember good, I was able to save one complete. Let me check :)

Erosion... will be my epitaph!

http://www.paleonature.org/

https://fossilnews.org/

I was there a couple of time. Good quarry, really beautiful Arbacia echnoid :)

ou are right, all brachiopods were broken... actually, if I remember good, I was able to save one complete. Let me check :)

My block came from there as well. Likewise most are broken save one in my collecttion.

Very nice pictures and specimen Dromiopsis! B)

I have found only a couple tertiary brachs. There generally on the small side but cool.

the first one is "Terebratulina" from the Oligocene keasy formation in Oregon. The next is from the Eocene cowlitz formation in washington

post-9950-0-22676300-1362713571_thumb.jpg

post-9950-0-04869600-1362713607_thumb.jpg

Edited by PRK