I Need Help Finding A Journal!

DLB

NOT trying to be rude, but just seeing if any one can come up with different results. Some of the journals I've already found some of which are new to me sorry if it is seems rude to u but I thought this was the question and answer post!!!

Words are important. When you choose to say "here is a new task" it comes across as a homework assignment, and that IS rude. Telling people to find, upload, and send to you every paper having to do with ammonites (and presumably nautiloids) from Washington State, well just think about it. It took me about 10 minutes to find the Rathbun monograph, check it to make sure it uploaded correctly and the figures were good (scanned versions often have unusable figures), and post the link, for which I received not a word of thanks. It could easily take me several hours to find, upload, and post to you just the more easily found ammonite literature. If four or five people were to do that, how much time would we have wasted as we would all have sent you pretty much the same thing. Yes it's the "question and answer" forum, but saying "find and send to me everything you can find on Washington ammonites" is not a question, its a chore. The proper way to do this is to say that you have already found papers a, b, c, d, and e, but you can't find f and g. You will usually find that f and g will quickly appear. Word of advice: there are many very knowledgeable people on this forum, and they are very willing to help others to learn, but the operative word is "help" not "work for".

Don

Words are important. When you choose to say "here is a new task" it comes across as a homework assignment, and that IS rude. Telling people to find, upload, and send to you every paper having to do with ammonites (and presumably nautiloids) from Washington State, well just think about it. It took me about 10 minutes to find the Rathbun monograph, check it to make sure it uploaded correctly and the figures were good (scanned versions often have unusable figures), and post the link, for which I received not a word of thanks. It could easily take me several hours to find, upload, and post to you just the more easily found ammonite literature. If four or five people were to do that, how much time would we have wasted as we would all have sent you pretty much the same thing. Yes it's the "question and answer" forum, but saying "find and send to me everything you can find on Washington ammonites" is not a question, its a chore. The proper way to do this is to say that you have already found papers a, b, c, d, and e, but you can't find f and g. You will usually find that f and g will quickly appear. Word of advice: there are many very knowledgeable people on this forum, and they are very willing to help others to learn, but the operative word is "help" not "work for".

Don

Well said, Don.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

FossilDAWG I don't mean any thing by what I said and I'm sorry thank u for your help and I'll edit my post I didn't mean to seem bossy thanks for every thing

Hey no problems. I know it's easy in these online forums to write things that come across in a way you didn't mean. For example, it's hard to tell a joke, or be sarcastic, or such things that are easy to manage in face-to-face conversation, because there are no "body language" clues, or tone of voice, nothing but the naked words. So we just have to be a little bit more careful to choose our words, lest they be misinterpreted. Everyone here is happy to share their knowledge, but they are happier when it's a give-and-take.

One thing to consider when you are having trouble finding a reference, let us know the search engine and key words you used. Some searching tools are better than others, and keyword choice can have a big effect on the result, so if we know how you are doing your searches maybe we can offer suggestions to improve your success. Also, if you find specific references that you can't get to as a pdf, it's fine to ask if anybody has a copy and often one will appear. For example, I have access to some things through the University that others might have to pay for. I'm usually happy to fetch a paper or two, but I have to be careful not to run afoul of the University copyright police by giving away too much where the copyright holder expects a subscription fee to be paid. Just don't ask for 20 pdfs at a time!

Don

Also, if you find specific references that you can't get to as a pdf, it's fine to ask if anybody has a copy and often one will appear. For example, I have access to some things through the University that others might have to pay for. I'm usually happy to fetch a paper or two, but I have to be careful not to run afoul of the University copyright police by giving away too much where the copyright holder expects a subscription fee to be paid. Just don't ask for 20 pdfs at a time!

Don

I second this, it is an excellent point. I posted a couple of papers on the forum, in this thread and another. I also don't mind sharing the occasional paper with someone, but a bulk sharing is a little to much in the gray area for me..

So I looked around and I'm looking for Upper cretaceous ammonites from orcas island Wa journal all I could find was one page of it can any one help me with that? :)

I would look for authors who have published on west coast ammonites. Then, I would try contacting them directly as there is usually some contact info on the title page of an article. You might try looking for general studies on molluscan faunas of the northwest or west coast (including British Columbia) as there would be notes on cephalopods. A couple of years ago, I did some research on California ammonites on behalf of a friend and found a few localities for him to check out.

You didn't say if you've already been to the University of Washington. When I get a free day and can match schedules with a friend, we go to UC Berkeley and visit the life sciences library (the earth sciences library actually carries less paleo-related publications than the life sciences one). We split the gas and parking costs and we find a lot of stuff on each trip (hard-to-find journals, old books, field trip logs, etc.). The cool thing about actually walking into a library is that you always run across interesting articles you didn't know existed but suddenly want as much as the ones on your list.

So I looked around and I'm looking for Upper cretaceous ammonites from orcas island Wa journal all I could find was one page of it can any one help me with that? :)

Peter Ward's paper on Haslam Formation Glyptoxoceras and Bostrychoceras from Orcas Island.

Ward 1976.pdf

Much prettier specimens can be found on Vancouver Island.

Don

Thank u Don I'm looking for a trip that will produce some good fossils but I don't know much about finding fossils and bring them back from canada so I'm trying too find some here in Washington state thanks for you're help!

I would look for authors who have published on west coast ammonites. Then, I would try contacting them directly as there is usually some contact info on the title page of an article. You might try looking for general studies on molluscan faunas of the northwest or west coast (including British Columbia) as there would be notes on cephalopods. A couple of years ago, I did some research on California ammonites on behalf of a friend and found a few localities for him to check out.

You didn't say if you've already been to the University of Washington. When I get a free day and can match schedules with a friend, we go to UC Berkeley and visit the life sciences library (the earth sciences library actually carries less paleo-related publications than the life sciences one). We split the gas and parking costs and we find a lot of stuff on each trip (hard-to-find journals, old books, field trip logs, etc.). The cool thing about actually walking into a library is that you always run across interesting articles you didn't know existed but suddenly want as much as the ones on your list.

I've been to the University of Washington a few times but I'm not sure if people that don't attend the college are allowed too do anything ? Thanks for the tip I might try to see the next time I get the chance.

i keep going back to this geologists site on the area, maybe starting farther back will yield results, there seem to be nice reference material links as well... :)

LINK

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

i keep going back to this geologists site on the area, maybe starting farther back will yield results, there seem to be nice reference material links as well... :)

LINK

I want to thank u as well for the help I've Been planning to make a trip up there but I want to make sure I'm headed in the right direction!

I didn't attend Stanford nor Berkeley but I've been to their libraries many times. A library might want you to sign in as a visitor. You won't be able to check out anything (ie. physically take any publications out of the building) but you can download PDF's of online journals or photocopy anything you want.

I've been to the University of Washington a few times but I'm not sure if people that don't attend the college are allowed too do anything ? Thanks for the tip I might try to see the next time I get the chance.

Can any one help with this journal of paleontology it's called A NEW nautiloid, Eutrephoceras eyerdami, New species from the cowlitz formation,upper Eocene, of Washingtion hopefully I won't have to find any more for a long awhile! Thanks to everyone u all have been a great help too me!