Mazon Creek Fossil

jkfoam

All,

I acquired this Mazon Creek, Illinois, fossil with others about 30 years ago in a trade. Unfortunately the trader did not provide me with any identifications and the only label was the location information. I did'nt complain at the time because they included a generous portion of specimen in the deal.

If anyone can provide me any information as to the identity of the specimen pictured below I would appreciate it very much. Thanks,

JKFoam

This shows both halves of the nodule and a scale for size

post-8-1220474076_thumb.jpg

This shows half of the nodule on edge

post-8-1220474150_thumb.jpg

One half of the nodule

post-8-1220474210_thumb.jpg

The other half of the nodule

post-8-1220474280_thumb.jpg

The Eocene is my favorite

It's a Tweetie Bird Shamrockensis! Those are DARNED rare! Good thing you got that when you did. I've heard Mason's Creek is being bricked over.

Beautiful, and very detailed. Sorry, I don't know what it is,

but the matching sides almost look like wings to me.

Welcome to the forum!

Tracer, you are not the first to see it as a three leaf clover but I don't think so. I don't think clover was part of the Mazon Creek flora.

JKFoam

it almost looks like three seperate pieces of a pine cone. You know the little flaps on the side. Who know, could be. So Mazon Creek is in Illinios? I've heard about the place before but never been there. If I would have known that I would have tried to stop there when I was in Illinios. :(

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

it could be the head of some type of fern? just an idea? perhaps look through some different ferns from Mazon Creek and see if any look like that!?

my opinion

very interesting

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

it could be the head of some type of fern?

I believe it is the tip of a particular frond; I've seen an image of something real similar, but can't remember what it was called nor where I saw it :( . I surfed for a while, but got skunked. There was a link posted recently (in another thread) to a good Pennsylvanian plant ID site; it may have been there.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

All,

I acquired this Mazon Creek, Illinois, fossil with others about 30 years ago in a trade. Unfortunately the trader did not provide me with any identifications and the only label was the location information. I did'nt complain at the time because they included a generous portion of specimen in the deal.

If anyone can provide me any information as to the identity of the specimen pictured below I would appreciate it very much. Thanks,

JKFoam

One half of the nodule

Well this is a type of clover that grew during the cretaceous period and it is called Marsileaceae and

Fossil range: Lower Cretaceous[1] to recent

Here is a web site

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marsileaceae

The best days are spent collecting fossils

Well this is a type of clover that grew during the cretaceous period and it is called Marsileaceae and

Fossil range: Lower Cretaceous[1] to recent

Here is a web site

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marsileaceae

Mazon Creek is Pennsylvanian.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

• 4 months later...
All,

JKFoam

One half of the nodule

Hello, I am new to the forum and noticed your post regarding the identification of your Mazon Creek fossil.

It is a type of foliage named Annularia stellata. Hope that helps.

Hello, I am new to the forum and noticed your post regarding the identification of your Mazon Creek fossil.

It is a type of foliage named Annularia stellata. Hope that helps.

RCFossil,

Thanks for the identification.

JKFoam