Mazon Creek Or Pit 11 Jellyfish Listing? (Greenii)

Dennis Leahy

• New Members

Is there an online Mazon Creek or Pit 11 jellyfish listing, by scientific name?

I had the wonderful pleasure of accompanying Frank Green (Frank Green, Jr., who was a volunteer at Chicago's Field Museum in the paleontology department) on several fossil collecting trips to the Braidwood Nuclear power plant, as well as getting a chance to see the type specimen named after him. It was a jellyfish, I'm almost positive. The Latin name ended in greenii

I cannot find it in any online search (so far.)

Is there anywhere I could look it up, online? Or, do any of you have a Mazon Creek book that might have this?

Thanks in advance for your consideration.

Dennis

Edited by Dennis Leahy

What a difference a couple letters makes! LINK

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Hi Dennis,

I met Frank Greene on a few occasions. i never had an opportunity to collect with him but he seemed to be a nice guy.

I have several examples of reticulomedusa greenei listed in my gallery.

Do you have any specific questions about a fossil?

There are several publications that have info on Reticulomedusa including Richardsons Guide to the Fossil Fauna of Mazon Creek.

Welcome to the forum

What a difference a couple letters makes! LINK

what an awesome paper Chas, thanks for that link :)

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

• New Members

xonenine, Paleozoicfish, Auspex, RCFossils: thank you all very much for the excellent and quick answer to my question. I see I misspelled "jellyfish" in the thread title (a mod may want to fix that, so this thread could come up in a member search.) And of course I misremembered greenei as greenii.

What an excellent resource this forum is (and you all are!)

It's silly, by I was trying to retell a story of this wonderful man (after taking me with him, collecting at Pit 11 and surrounding areas several times), taking me into the Field Museum (where he was a paleo volunteer), and having him take me down to the sub basement to see some of the non-public specimens. He handed me the type specimen for the Reticulomedusa Greenei. What a thrill!

RCFossils, when I met Frank, he already had cancer and metastasis to the liver. He refused to let that stop him, and he lived maybe 9 months after I met him. He was incredibly gracious and generous with his time for me. I'll not forget him.

Dennis

p.s. I see I was able to edit the title (leaving the misspelled greenei, or else the thread won't make sense.)

Edited by Dennis Leahy