Black Moroccan Fossils

Axelorox

I was at a fossil show today, and saw a box of what the dealer said were Moroccan mosasaur teeth. What was unusual about them was the color. The teeth were dark grey, almost black in color, and the matrix was grey as well. The dealer said that they were from a lesser known formation in Morocco. I think he mentioned oil sands or something of that sort. Because they were only $8, I bought one. Anyone ever heard of black/grey fossils from Morocco?

I have seen them before. Go to ebay and type in oil shale mosasaur. A few should pop p.

cheers,

-PzF

I was at a fossil show today, and saw a box of what the dealer said were Moroccan mosasaur teeth. What was unusual about them was the color. The teeth were dark grey, almost black in color, and the matrix was grey as well. The dealer said that they were from a lesser known formation in Morocco. I think he mentioned oil sands or something of that sort. Because they were only $8, I bought one. Anyone ever heard of black/grey fossils from Morocco?

There are also black Squalicorax (shark) teeth from Morocco.

Fossils like that color started coming out of Morocco a few years ago. I don't know if has to do with oil sands but a dealer at the time simply said it was a different locality "Guigou near Sefrou." I have a couple of Squalicorax pristodontus and a Cretalamna maroccana partly in matrix and in that color.