Riker Mount Filler

-AnThOnY-

Anybody know where I could find 12x16 riker mount filler pads? I remember seeing some online in the past but I can't find them anymore. I am making some wood cases and could use them!

Thanks for any help

I suggest hobby lobby, they have foam boards that can be cut to size.

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

Thanks! Ill give it a shot and see if that will work for me. Still would love a source for those riker mount pads!

Hey Anthony,

Have you checked out this website?

Good luck.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I didn't notice them before, but sure enough they are there! Hidden in the list of items! Thanks

The one Fossildude19 provided the link for looks like the one-stop shop for you. Last month in Tucson I bought filler pad from Mikon (a German mineral dealer who also sells display supplies). I just noticed he sells online too:

https://www.mikon-online.com/shop/

Anybody know where I could find 12x16 riker mount filler pads? I remember seeing some online in the past but I can't find them anymore. I am making some wood cases and could use them!

Thanks for any help

those are some nice accessories in the link Tim provided.I'd say the other place to try and get a bulk piece is a sewing center.

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

Thanks for that link! I've been wondering this too as I prop up my mounts the teeth slide. I've resorted to stick all kinds of stuff behind the foam but nothing works too great.

Thanks for that link! I've been wondering this too as I prop up my mounts the teeth slide. I've resorted to stick all kinds of stuff behind the foam but nothing works too great.

Sticking stuff behind the foam won't work because it's hard to get enough pressure against the batting with nothing but cardboard behind. If you're making wood boxes that problem is solved, just remember to use thick glass to avoid breaking it with the compression necessary to hold the fossils in place.

You also may find that foam rubber works better than the springy batting used in Rykers. The fossils seem to sink deeper into the foam and you can even cut a shallow notch into the foam.

Edited by BobWill

Thanks for help all, yeah that rikermounts site is pretty good, I just never noticed that they sold them before!

Where do you get your "rubber foam" from? Does hobby lobby have stuff like that?

Polyurethane foam is what you want. You can price it in the upholstery section of your craft store. Unhappily, you are not likely to find it in a thickness suitable.

I formerly made display cases, and I have some of this foam on hand. It is off-white in color and it's best to cover it with a fabric. This foam will not break down and get sticky.

Here is a point pressed against glass (single strength window glass is just fine for the purpose), using foam and a fabric liner.

post-42-0-32795500-1331687608_thumb.jpg

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest