Ole Butch !

RJB

We found this guy in the lower layers of the famous 18 inch layer of the Green River Formation. We did find quite a few of the smaller lyops prisci's, but once I saw this dude with the two front dorsal spines going forward on this big guy, I decided right then and there to name him 'Butch'!! Anyways, this fish is in that really tuff 'brown' stuff. The rock does not 'pop' off at all. I have to wear it down using my air scribes, my hand tools and my air air abrasive system, and its still tuffer than snarge to prep!!! This project is going to take me about 40 hours of prep, and I still hope I can actually finish the harder parts like the belly and all the fins? Im hoping for rain tomorrow so that I can do some more work on him. From the first picture to the second, hopefully you can see what ive done. Its taken me 2 hours to get this far and a very long way to go.

RB

That's a beautiful fish! Sorry about the prep time, but don't rush it!! He's all there, and posed just right; it'll be a museum piece for sure! (If you want easy, stick with the split-fish layer; all they need is a going-over with an art gum eraser, but the preservation is dreadful by comparison).

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Guest N.AL.hunter

Heck that already looks better than anything I ever found up there!! Can't wait to see the finished specimen. I only got to dig at the old Warfield's quarry where there was a spring. Did that twice, but did not find anything uncommon or valuable. However, it was only $25 per day from 7am until sundown back then!!

RJB, a trick i learned with the big palm i prepared was to lay a wet towel on it over night and the rock softens alot. it also makes the rock pop easier. with my palm it made all the difference. before it would not pop at all and i messed up a few inches of the leaf. then after watering it i was able to split off 4x4 inch sections. give it a try. also it won't hurt the integrity of the rock. it goes back to super hard when it dries.

Brock

This is the fish I want to find when I go there.I have found one in 4 trips and its missing the tail,but its a big fish.I can't wait to see yours when finished.

J

We are all merely curators for the next generation.

Heck that already looks better than anything I ever found up there!! Can't wait to see the finished specimen. I only got to dig at the old Warfield's quarry where there was a spring. Did that twice, but did not find anything uncommon or valuable. However, it was only $25 per day from 7am until sundown back then!!

Good ole Warfields. I took my family twice when I first started fossil hunting, but warfields wont let you dig in their commercial quarry, thats where all their good stuff comes from. I must say that we had a very good and exciting time there, but after 2 times, I was looking for better stuff.

RB

RJB, a trick i learned with the big palm i prepared was to lay a wet towel on it over night and the rock softens alot. it also makes the rock pop easier. with my palm it made all the difference. before it would not pop at all and i messed up a few inches of the leaf. then after watering it i was able to split off 4x4 inch sections. give it a try. also it won't hurt the integrity of the rock. it goes back to super hard when it dries.

Brock

Hey Brock, I just may try that today. I hope it helps. Im assuming that it may work ok for the flatter areas like below and above the spine, but its going to be interesting to see how it works where all the big bumpy bones are? Thanks

RB

Awesome fish!!

What are yall useing for bait?? :P

When they are 'on the bite' you can get em with hammer and thin chisle!!! FISH ON !!! YaaaaaaaHooooooo!!!!!

RB

way cool RB, you're way ahead of me! But where is THE BIG Prisci?!

Hey dude. That really big one is still sittin in the garage where we first put him. I did put lots more glue on the rock and havent touched it since. I actually went out and bought some of that fiber board and silicone and gunna glue him onto that. That should make him good enough to ship to my freind?

RB

Ok, I did a bunch of work today and then did some prepping on 'ole Butch'. And thanks to Brock, I tried that wetting it down and it did help, only a little, but it did help. Thanks Brock. Also, while working a bunch on the head of this thing, I kept looking at all those big beautiful spines. I swear he was giving me the 'middle spine'? But I was the bigger man, didnt bother to give him one of my middle fingers in return and went on the prep attack and got his big spines exposed!! I showed him who was boss! Heh,,,heh,,, I am litteraly AMAZED at just how hard these bones are!!! Just freakin beautiful bone!!! Here is an update photo of Butch, and also one of his father, 'Spike'! Ha!!! Im sending spike to a freind of mine for him to prep. Its in some AWEFUL rock, but spike is 10 inches!!! Wow!!! Oh, I measured ole Butch today, he measures in at 7 inches!! Yeah!!!

RB

• 2 weeks later...

Well I finally got around to prepping my first green river Prisci. It was in very very soft 18" layer rock, almost mushy. That made it easy for the rock to come off but also the little scales and fin bones. I think it turned out ok for my first attempt. The last pic is of a second one I started tonight. It is in nicer rock but some bones were missing from the area I prepped cause it partially split in the field, should be a nice one though, the tail is almost perfect :D How's old butch coming along RB.

Great job! In the first pic of the slab, not sure how

you knew it was even under there. I don't even see

signs of the fish in that shot. Seems like when you

find and prep, you have gone full circle...COOL

Welcome to the forum!

Glad i could be of some service RJB. i have to say that is one of the best posed priscis i have ever seen. and large to top it off.

if anyone is intersted i have small unprepared fish i will sell. i have knightia, diplomystus, and priscacara. ranging in price from $10 and up to several hundred. pm if interested.

Brock

Great job! In the first pic of the slab, not sure how

you knew it was even under there. I don't even see

signs of the fish in that shot. Seems like when you

find and prep, you have gone full circle...COOL

Hey Roz, if you look at the very top of the rock in the first photo you can see a couple of his spines sticking out. You could also see more of his bones under the rock in good lighting, the flash washed it out! Sure is fun prepping them out.

Thanks, I went back and sure enough I saw them, of

course I had a hint of what to look for. I couldn't tell what

those were the first time. I don't find fish here except verts,

and teeth.

Welcome to the forum!

That's a great fish! The only Priscacara I found was only the top half of the fish and it was about 12 inches long. I spent 40-50 hours prepping out what was there just for the practice. I think prepping the fish is even more fun than finding them.

If you believe everything you read, perhaps it's time for you to stop reading...

Ok, here is an update of 'ole Butch'. This is about another 4 hours of work. There seems to be a SUPER hard thin crust over most of the bones including the fin bones. Just harder than snarge!!! But with a bit of determination and a bunch more time, I think this fish is gunna come out QUITE NICE!!! WooooooHoooooo!!!

RB

Oh, I just read a post about prepping a fish, I thinks me better add a post onto that one soon.