Creek Sifting Vs. Surface Finds

mullery7

1. Which do you prefer?

2. Which seems to produce more finds?

3. Which produces better preserved specimens?

Insitu, or still embedded in the matrix will yield the best specimens. Not always an option though. Each site is different, and a large rainstorm can be a game changer for any site. Often, surface collecting can show you where the richest areas to excavate are located so both are important.

Mullery some locales and states do not allow but surface hunting. So it is also based that way. I prefer screening in the creeks. With waist deep water it is hard to spot anything in the deep, dark murky water. The also you would have to go under to get hold of it with your hands.. Some places like Summerville,SC may produce better surface collecting (also the spot I do know that you cannot dig at all) GMR in NC it is more screening though I do look around on sand bars for teeth once in a while.

Creeks really can beat up specimens alot. If said creek has lots of larger rocks then these teeth and other fossils beat against them as they are washed downstream. You can find some really nice pieces but you will find more damaged ones than perfect ones IMO... Hope this helps...Jeff/Tarheel

I agree with what has been said above, no simple answer. I often find much more in less time surface collecting after a good rain, but if certain other TFF members ' footprints are already on the ground, break out the screens. Screening and surface collecting yield the same quality fossils in my experience .

At my most productive beach deposit, the productive "layer" is only a few inches of loose sand sitting on top of feet of soft mud so surface hunting is the best bet and least work.

alone Ive always done better sifting but had my best surface collecting ever yesterday , I guess it also depends where youre hunting. Hunted in one area about a month ago where a shell bed was exposed but most crumbled when you touched them and I only took home about 10 specimens of varying condition, went back a week later after a rain and part of the cliff had collapsed and the surging water had washed away/disolved most of the loose material leaving a huge pile of shells/stienkerns just under the waters surface and I scooped them up by the dozens and sorted for the best ones on shore

On most jersey creeks for me it is a matter of surface area. A 2'x2' screen (slightly unreasonable in size) allows you to scan a 4 sqft surface after shoveling and screening. In that time I can probably scan a 50sqft area by getting low or just looking. That being said if you find an area with a lot of surface finds it doesn't hurt to sweep the top few inches. I would say rain has more to do with success than anything else and we haven't had much of that. My best quality and unique finds were all on the surface.

It's hard to remember why you drained the swamp when your surrounded by alligators.

Hey Lord Piney

Nice finds! Is that a pecten in your pic? The top and second rows. I may of found one similar and can't locate the name.

It's hard to remember why you drained the swamp when your surrounded by alligators.

I'm a sifter. Surface finds are great - they are like the cherry on the Sunday but our best finds have been sifting with a 1\4 inch screen.

...I'd rather be digging...Life

Hey Lord Piney

Nice finds! Is that a pecten in your pic? The top and second rows. I may of found one similar and can't locate the name.

actually Jeff, they are Choristothyris Plicata aka lamp shells. i have a spot that always produces them.

A lot of my best stuff was found screening, but a lot of my nicest stuff is on the small side. Surface collecting is fine if you're mostly looking for the larger stuff, but makes finding many of the species difficult to impossible. I also find screening is more relaxing...I tend to bring a folding chair, plop it down somewhere, and just sit there and screen, enjoying a nice day outdoors.

when im looking for quantity i do army crawls on my knees and elbows up and down the gravel bars. takes a toll on the body. I always seem to get a headache after a long day of collecting. I dont know if its the bending over or the high iron in the water and air. I hear you on relaxing and just enjoying the serenity and peace of a beautiful day and scenery.

No matter which I do it always seems like I should more of the other.

Truer words were never spoken!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Sifting works best for me in the creeks, but when I hunt in quarries and other area's I mostly surface collect. They are both productive, but it just depends where I am doing my collecting.

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

actually Jeff, they are Choristothyris Plicata aka lamp shells. i have a spot that always produces them.

Thanks for the ID Phil. :)