Museum Selling Fake Spinosaurus Teeth?

Mr ATCG

I went to the Houston Museum of Natural science a couple days ago. I saw that they were selling fossilised Spinosaurus (aegypticus) teeth. Though I questioned the authenticity.

• The teeth were all in a bowl. They must have been mishandeled by dozens of kids so the tips of them were mostly chipped off and laying at the bottom of the bowl.
  • They costed in between $15-$30
  • Some which where chipped in half had a white center to them. The picture I've attached shows this. What it doesn't show is a few strands of tanish streaks in the white center.

Now these teeth were in the expensive side of the shop that did have nothing but fossils such as Megalodon, Mosasaur, and various other fossile teeth. A gift shop worker cashier told me that the teeth are very common. I knew that the major bones were very rare, I didn't know anything about the teeth.

I'm going back to the museum for art class here soon. I'd like to buy one if they're real. What do you guys think?

post-8195-0-74509000-1331798300_thumb.jpg

I can't speak to their authenticity, and that center does look worrying - all reptile teeth that I have found (though no dino material) were hollow, but had a much smaller central cavity.

As far as rarity and price are concerned, a quick google search showed that, on average, the smaller spinosaurus teeth from morocco are plentiful and seem to average in the $10-$30 range...so that adds up.

The teeth are phosphate, sometimes the internal surface is bright white as well. We need a better picture of the external surface of the tooth.

-PzF

I bought fossils for a retail science company and I sold hundreds of Spinosaur teeth each year. There are diff. grades like in anything and I bought cheap teeth (broken but real) for kids, middle quality teeth (large some chips) for the casual collector or novice, and high quality teeth (huge near perfect) for the discriminating collector. I suspect that the teeth in the bowl were ones they had that were mishandled and now they are trying to sell them cheaply like they were fruit. ;)

mikey

Edited by mikeymig

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

Thanks guys. I do have a fake t-rex tooth so I was looking for the same indications from the fake tooth. To me the Spino teeth do seem real. I'll buy the best looking cheap one I can find. Even if they are "low grade," it's still a tooth and I'd love to own one.