Real T-Rex Tooth?

promotheus

Browsing the web for more teeth for my collection, and I stumbled over this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hell-Creek-Dinosaur-fossil-Massive-Tyrannosaurus-rex-tooth-3-5-8-3-CHEAP-NR?item=130661646354&cmd=ViewItem&_trksid=p5197.m1374&_trkparms=algo%3DPI.WATCH%26otn%3D8%26po%3DLCA%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D7018085195770030644

Seems rather cheap for a T-Rex tooth of this size, does anyone else have a comment to add? Im tempted to bid on this, as I lack a proper tooth from this species.

It does seem quite weathered, no serrations visible and it has been restored to some degree.

John

Well, the price isn't necessarily "cheap", but compared to other t-rex teeth in this range, I'll agree the price is reasonable. The lower-than-usual price boils down to the most important factor in fossil appraisal - condition.

As you noted, the tooth is heavily worn. There doesn't seem to be much, if any, enamel left on the tooth. Additionally, that restoration job isn't too clean. Definitely looks home-done, which is a shame.

While I've never purchased a dino tooth personally, I have seen many listings. This seems on par with a tooth of this size and condition. What does everyone else think?

Edited by Sharks of SC

It's priced appropriately for its grade.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

It's a very ugly tooth, that's why it it's so cheap!

Be gentle, he's a member :) .

If all you want is an affordable piece of a Rex, it'll do.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Be gentle, he's a member :) .

If all you want is an affordable piece of a Rex, it'll do.

It's WAY better than the T. rex teeth I have in my collection! Which is none!

Please don't take my comment as negative. It was simply a statment on why the tooth is cheaper priced than others!

If I FOUND that tooth, it would be front and center in my collection. And I would be VERY proud of it.

I spent a couple of weeks a few years ago dino hunting in Montana and didnt find ANYTHING terrestrial as nice as that tooth.

Edited by Boneman007

I couldn't afford a real piece of T. rex tooth either, so I bought a cast instead.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

If you want something affordable (or can't afford a well preserved specimen) then go for it. It doesn't look all that nice, but on the upside it is huge for this price!

I went for an affordable tooth, too. A 2.1 incher, but since it was in a bit better condition than this tooth and some of the serrations are still present (but it's still not what you'd call a beautiful tooth) it was more expensive than this one.

Ugly or not, at the end of the day you'll still own a genuine T. rex tooth :)

Edit: Ups, I'm a bit late, since the bidding has ended. I hope you don't regret your decision, whatever it was :)

Edited by Tyrannoraptor