Limestone Fish Preparation

FossilHunter.info

I would like to prepare a fossil fish with soft Miocene limestone.

I proavato with the sander, but the scales are too soft and fly away with the matrix. With hammer and chisel risk of blowing everything. I would like to try a chemical method what do you suggest? I tried vinegar, fries but the end result is irrelevant. is made of calcium carbonate CaCO3 grains of glauconite, quartz, feldspars, muscovite, phosphates and clay materials.

Any idea? thanks Danny

Danny (Fossil Hunter)

You need to use a air scribe. You can't get too close to the fish tho, because its so soft.

You will need a air compressor and chicago pneumatic makes very nice air scribes along with a number of other companies.

Im sure others will give their recommendations as well!

Good luck and practice on something you can destroy!

Edited by Boneman007

• 2 weeks later...

I use air scribes to prepare my fish fossils, if the fish is covered by a very thin layer, then you can use a low concentration acid, it shouldn't be powerful at all and it shouldn't stay for a long time on the stone, maybe 10 seconds max, repeat this procedure several times but don't do that for a long period like 1 minute, it will destroy the fish. You can get that acid from a blacksmith if you know one, it's the same thing as the one they use!