Anyone With Info/experience Casting Fossil Fish?

newdog65

Hi everyone

I am hoping to learn how to make a reproduction of a fossil fish. I found someone with some very nice and rare fish fossils. Anyone have experience, or can point me to where I might learn techniques to make casts?

Thanks in advance

Chris

I have some experience in making casts with silicone. Many casting techniques will damage the fossil in some way or leave behind a stain due to releasing agents (prevents sticking). I would start practicing on some common specimens before casting some rare fish. It also depends on the type of preservation. Some fossils from particular sites are easier to cast than others.

-PzF

I have worked with silicon molds for many years and there is a wide variety. Some need release agents, some don't. For a fossil I would use a softer silicon that doesn't need a release agent so I wouldn't damage the fossil. Most silicon that I have used is inert and does not stain in any way. A bit of practice on common stuff is always a good idea and simple box molds are very easy to do even for a beginner.

Let me know if you need any help and I will be happy to walk you through the process.

Thanks for the offer. I'll see if the guy would be willing to let me cast one and then I'll get back to you.

Chris

I have worked with silicon molds for many years and there is a wide variety. Some need release agents, some don't. For a fossil I would use a softer silicon that doesn't need a release agent so I wouldn't damage the fossil. Most silicon that I have used is inert and does not stain in any way. A bit of practice on common stuff is always a good idea and simple box molds are very easy to do even for a beginner.

Let me know if you need any help and I will be happy to walk you through the process.