Texas trip for this fall

Oh-Man

My hands are my weapons...muhaha!

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Daniel always did go for the smaller caliber!! (LOL!)

I've been watching this thread with interest. I'm not sure if I will be able to participate or not but all of the locations proposed so far sound pretty good!

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

The Waco Pit has squid beaks there too! I have never found one but have

seen others pull them out..,..

Welcome to the forum!

The Waco Pit has squid beaks there too! I have never found one but have

seen others pull them out..,..

Wow ,what were the sizes on the squid beaks?

thanks

B

I've never been to the Waco Pit, either. Sounds like it could provide some variety. Anyone have photos of Waco Pit finds?

What about dates? (restrain yourselves :P ) Calendar dates...how about 10/11 or 10/18? Discussion???

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

JJ

Check my museum reports to seem some good-r-uns.

Grüße,

All,

A few of us have been discussing scheduling a group trip for later in the year.

At this point we are looking for a "good" location and a good date.

As for a point of rule we will need to put some strict stipulations on participation if we go to someone's "honey hole."

No pillaging and no selling of finds unless it is some place like Whiskey Bridge or Ammonite Flats/Texoma that are known to thousands of rock hounds.

So with that being said please let me know via direct e-mail if you are interested in either participating or suggesting a spot.

I also may need to cap the trip list if it looks like the location selected may not support a large group.

Also, this is not restricted to forum members IN Texas, just that the trip will be in the Lone Star state.

I'll look forward to hearing from the group. :D

Oh-Man

Interested parties:

Oh-man (Hou)

MikeD (Hou)

JohnJ

snakekeeper64 (DFW)

danwoehr (Hill country)

Roz

fossil man

Bowkill (although it may be a haul from Kansas)

MikeM (s. OK)

Suggested sites:Whisky Bridge - College Station area - Eocene glauconite bed with lots of shells materials. Also sharks teeth, squid beaks and ottoliths.

NSR - Sulfur River near Ladonia, TX - known for Mosasaur parts. Those are pretty rare, but other stuff is certainly abundant

Ammonite Flats - Lake Texoma/Sherman, TX area - big ammonites if you can dig them out. This trip is know to cause both heart ache and heart attacks!

Would love to come but it depends on the dates? I lived in Dallas in the 60s on Buckeye lane and the phone number was DA1-3134. When you get older you seem to forget all but the past.

The best days are spent collecting fossils

Wow ,what were the sizes on the squid beaks?

thanks

B

Really tiny, but they are such a great fossil. Sorry, I don't have one

to measure for you to be exact.

Welcome to the forum!

Here is the Waco pit, Waco, Tx (left pic) and Wilson Clay pit, Coleman co., Tx. (right pic)

I vote for the Waco pit as we might be able to have a shore lunch with fresh bass! Unless that is just a temporary pond!

thanks for the pics Lance

I am definitely in, and like Barry I also drive a company vehicle with one of those magical gas cards. So anyone from the San Antonio area is welcome to tell me lies and keep me awake on the road.

The area is not a big issue to me, I just need to get out for the day.

Brian

Brian Evans

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.

Be prepared and good luck to all my Texas compadres. The next 3-4 days are going to be...interesting. MikeD and others in E / SE Texas, take care. Someone has to pick up all those fossils Ike leaves laying around. Growing up in Brazoria county, I've had my share of "tropical" experiences; and as our Florida members know, you can't change what the storm will do. Hopefully, we'll all be picking up new finds and not pieces of our property after the storm passes. B)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

From San Antonio and South Texas,

Thanks John,

Brian

Brian Evans

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.

Hey Brian

If I go on this trip I may try to hitch a ride with you from SA, ese.

Grüße,

This sounds interesting. I've done a couple of collecting trips to Texas and I don't need much of an excuse to get out and find something. Quarries are always fun and access to 500 acres and a river sounds even better. Let's see, plane tickets, rental car, hotel, freight bill for tons of fossils found . . . . . . . .

Ron

You joke about freight but in Feb I flew to DC round trip from TX for $400, then had to spend over $200 to ship home the whale jaw, whale verts, tons of Chesapecten, ferns, etc. Was it worth it? Heck yeah! But the stuff at Waco Pit is pretty small, with most fossils on the order of 1/8 to 2 inches, most being under an inch. A good day is a medicine bottle full of stuff. For those who haven't been there, it is not an active pit. It is a borrow pit dug some years ago I assume to provide material for building the dam, but I may be wrong on use of the material. At any rate it is a soft clay that erodes readily with rain. Ike could bump up the odds for a successful trip there.

Grüße,

Count me in for anywhere in TX.

Whiskey Bridge - I have the stratigraphy paper on the location which also indicates the height from the underlying formation at which certain fossils (shark teeth) were found. Last time I was there, there was an inordinate amount of slump from above and you had to dig in to get to the right layers.

Only thing about WB is that with the rain we have been getting up north and with Ike coming ashore - i don't know what level the Brazos will be. . . may or may not be problematic.

Waco Pit - would be just as good.

Roger

Waco is best right after a heavy rain. Y'all ought to dive on that one first before the clubs do. The only problem is that while rain is good for the pit, it may be bad for the Bosque River site. I'm not sure how fast those little tributary rivers flush out.

Grüße,

My son and I would like to go. We live in DFW and would be happy with a 2 hr drive, so Ladonia (NSR) or Waco are good.

We went to Texoma and found nothing worth taking except oyster/clam/devil toe. Guess we don't know how to look there.

Found some small teeth at Post Oak creek.

I'd like a place with whole ammonites, but I'll go anywhere.

Grommit.

Well it seems everyone is in agreeance about waco pit i think the next thing to do is throw some dates out there and see what people think. I hope i dont seem pushy cause i am not trying to be, i am just pumped about this trip.