Texas trip for this fall

Oh-Man

I've never been to the Waco Pit, either. Sounds like it could provide some variety. Anyone have photos of Waco Pit finds?

What about dates? (restrain yourselves :P ) Calendar dates...how about 10/11 or 10/18? Discussion???

These are the only dates I have seen.

Sounds good to me. How about everyone else?

Welcome to the forum!

[sounds good to me. How about everyone else?

I'll keep the dates open.I'm sure Owen will let us know the permanent date.

Bpost-417-1221340939_thumb.jpg

well great i have reveiled my biggest weakness "reading comprehension". Ha. Believe it or not i did read through the whole post as it was being written. I guess i was more excited about going to a new place and the potential for new things that i forgot about the dates. Well sweet the dates have been decided i cant wait. Thanks for keeping me straight guys.

well great i have reveiled my biggest weakness "reading comprehension". Ha. Believe it or not i did read through the whole post as it was being written. I guess i was more excited about going to a new place and the potential for new things that i forgot about the dates. Well sweet the dates have been decided i cant wait. Thanks for keeping me straight guys.

New places, and the material that might be found there have a way of clogging your mind! Especially if it's as feeble as mine LOL :rolleyes:

Calendar dates...how about 10/11 or 10/18? Discussion???

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Have we made any firm decisions yet on the dates? I personally would prefer 10/18, but I can make 10/11 just as easily.

Brian

Brian Evans

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.

Whatever is better for the majority. I don't work weekends.

What about everyone else? October 18th works for me.

Welcome to the forum!

Either date is fine for me also.

Whatever is better for the majority. I don't work weekends.

What about everyone else? October 18th works for me.

Who can pick up the permit for a trip on 10/18?

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Who can pick up the permit for a trip on 10/18?

I think Owen said he could probably get it.

As for dates, 10/18 first choice, then 10/11. End of September is HGMS show. End of October is Halloween and the fossils might rise up and find us.... :o (and I'm going to Mt. Ida).

10-11 or 10-18, it doesn't really matter. Either one will work for me. As long as the trip does not interfere with Fossilmania 10-31 through 11-2. Fossil Man, you can hook up with me and travel down with me. I will take my company truck. I work in Healdton and live in Lone Grove. PM me and we can make arrangements where and when to meet.

Mike

If I am not mistaken, think they will fax the form.

Can't stop thinking about the squid beaks etc. that are

waiting for all of us!

Welcome to the forum!

10/18 is find with me but either date is fine. I dont work weekends either. I am like Roz cant stop thinking about the possibities.

My schedule always presents somewhat of a wild card. I'll make it if I can but may not know until the week of.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

UPDATE: date set for Oct 18.

Locale: the Waco Pit.

Sorry for the delay folks, we evacuated in front of Ike and got back to no power and no bandwidth. Finally got them both back up this morning.

Meeting place, directions, etc. will be forthcoming.

Roger, please offer more details on the spillway - what and where?

Thanks

Otherwise I have a spot near Crawford that is worth the group at least checking out to see if there is anything there.

550 acres backing onto the Middle Bosque River. Not sure if there will be access to gravel beds, but there is the possibility.

The location also has an old flooded quarry covering a couple of acres. Water is low due to a leak in the dam so there may be some stuff to find in the exposure.

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"

Ha! I just finished my McLennan county geo map last month and commented to Rozilla about scouting around Crawford and the possibility of getting questioned by the Secret Service (because that's where Dubya's ranch is.) So.... I guess we would not have to worry then? LOL

Attached is a picture of the Waco spillway, we really didn't find anything last time but AdamA knows where a supposed shark tooth layer is... ;) I'll email him, he might want to join.

Otherwise I have a spot near Crawford that is worth the group at least checking out to see if there is anything there.

post-11-1221951159_thumb.jpg

UPDATE: date set for Oct 18.

Locale: the Waco Pit.

Sorry for the delay folks, we evacuated in front of Ike and got back to no power and no bandwidth. Finally got them both back up this morning.

Meeting place, directions, etc. will be forthcoming.

Roger, please offer more details on the spillway - what and where?

Thanks

550 acres backing onto the Middle Bosque River. Not sure if there will be access to gravel beds, but there is the possibility.

The location also has an old flooded quarry covering a couple of acres. Water is low due to a leak in the dam so there may be some stuff to find in the exposure.

Glad everything is ok with you then.

I think that acreage sounds like it is worth checking out....The Waco trip is gonna be fun, and think we all may

find some great stuff. Sure looking forward to it

Welcome to the forum!

...Attached is a picture of the Waco spillway....

Good photo, Lance. That looks like a place I could find something. ;)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Lance,

We're on the otherside of Crawford from the President's ranch.

And I know one of the local Secret Service guys, too, just in case...

O

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"

Notes on Waco:

1. The fossils are small so plan on gloves and knee pads and if you are so inclined, elbow pads. I have been known to belly flop at this site when getting into micro Goniophorus echinoids or floating micro crinoids. Most of the better fossils are less than 1 inch maximum dimension and average more like 1/2 inch. That being said, if your eyesight is anything like mine, you'll miss a lot if you walk instead of crawl. Even a stooped walk can't come near the productivity level of crawling.

2. The area is big and generally productive everywhere, so spread out and crawl your chosen areas in a methodical grid pattern. If it is wet make extra sure to be methodical as your tracks and slide marks will obscure what you've missed. Also be mindful not to track up where your fellow collectors are working if it is sloppy out. I've seen this situation get out of control when groups work wet pits, then everybody wonders where all the fossils are hiding.

3. At this site echinoids occur as singles as well as in nests at times. Ditto for brittlestars. Neither is super common but occasionally are found in associations. Shark teeth and pyritized ammonites on the other hand tend to be spread around pretty evenly, with ammonites presenting the most common find. Everyone will walk out with ammonites.

4. All of your finds will generally fit in a medicine bottle, so that is what I bring in my pocket. No need for a backpack or heavy hand tools.

5. While the flats are easiest to hunt, don't ignore the steep slopes. For those who care to billy goat the slopes, "to the motivated go the spoils".

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."