Digested Teeth?

John Hamilton

I recently saw a Riker display that identified some shark teeth as having been swallowed and digested and it has been nagging ever since. Is it possible to identify a fossil this way short of physically extracting it from a coprolite?

:eat popcorn:

Very rarely, In the Dallas area, we find a ptychodus shark tooth that has no enamel. It looks kind of like a ptychodus shaped bone.

It has been dicussed whether it is a unerupted tooth that has not formed the enamel, or whether it had been digested.

I have always leaned towards digestion. This is because, when my friend Shawn Hamm was redescribing the genus Ptychodus as his masters thesis, I got to see most of the Ptychodus dentitions that have been found in the US. We were not able to find a single "unerupted" (enamel-free) tooth in any dentition.

Edited by Boneman007
  • I found this Informative 1

Very rarely, In the Dallas area, we find a ptychodus shark tooth that has no enamel. It looks kind of like a ptychodus shaped bone.

It has been dicussed whether it is a unerupted tooth that has not formed the enamel, or whether it had been digested.

I have always leaned towards digestion. This is because, when my friend Shawn Hamm was redescribing the genus Ptychodus as his masters thesis, I got to see most of the Ptychodus dentitions that have been found in the US. We were not able to find a single "unerupted" (enamel-free) tooth in any dentition.

Your response seems like it would be a valid explanation but the teeth (makos and GWs) I saw still had the enamel on them.

Sounds like my happy little enamel free ptychoduses may have been digested after all!