Land Mammal - Name that fossil.

Metopocetus

Bottom right is a miocene pinecone fresh from a block. Above that to the left is part of a crab carapace concretion. I'm sure you all know the teeth. I have no clue on the big bone. I just found it an hour or two ago. Any thoughts are appreciated :).

post-680-1220997153_thumb.jpgpost-680-1220997169_thumb.jpgpost-680-1220997161_thumb.jpgpost-680-1220997178_thumb.jpg

'Taint bird (I hope!).

Is the pine stable at all?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Bottom right is a miocene pinecone fresh from a block. Above that to the left is part of a crab carapace concretion. I'm sure you all know the teeth. I have no clue on the big bone. I just found it an hour or two ago. Any thoughts are appreciated :).

post-680-1220997153_thumb.jpgpost-680-1220997169_thumb.jpgpost-680-1220997161_thumb.jpgpost-680-1220997178_thumb.jpg

The bone looks likea Humerus or a Metacarpal (Cannon Bone) depending on the thickness. The more robust would be the Humerus and I am pretty sure it is a long legged Llama a Hemiauchenia macrocephala. This pic is of a little over a seven foot mastodon rib we found. We also found other large bones.

post-764-1221027686_thumb.jpg

The best days are spent collecting fossils