Determining Tooth Position In The Jaw (In Dinosaurs)

Tyrannoraptor

Hey, I was wondering if there is any way to determine the approximate position of my Carcharodontosaurus tooth in the mouth. I know this is more difficult in theropod dinosaurs other than Tyrannosaurids because the shapes of their (other theropods) teeth don't vary as much depending on their position.

Can anyone help me with this? I've attached a few photos of the said tooth, if it would be in any help.

post-7253-0-13538900-1333394164_thumb.jpgpost-7253-0-67198000-1333394149_thumb.jpgpost-7253-0-94979000-1333394186_thumb.jpgpost-7253-0-92729200-1333394174_thumb.jpgpost-7253-0-40320000-1333394168_thumb.jpg

As far as I know, other than saying maxilla tooth or premax tooth, you just can't tell. I don;t think you can even tell uppers form lowers.

Edited by jpc

I didn't find anything particulary helping, and your answer didn't surprise me. I hoped there is some way that I don't know of though, I wonder how the seller that I bought my T. rex tooth from knew it was an upper jaw tooth. Maybe he could help me out (I have his contact so I can ask him).

I have a theory of my own - you can see from the photos that the inner side of the tooth is straight, and the outer side is a bit curved, like the tooth was curved inwards (I figured this out by looking at how the serrated edhes are positioned, or maybe I got this wrong and it's the other way round?). Perhaps this is a lower jaw tooth and it's curved inwards to make room for the upper jaw teeth when the mouth was closed (I assume they were interlocking in that way, like scissors)? Or maybe the curvature is just pathological, I don't know.

Thanks for help anyway :)

He said it was form an upper jaw, huh? I thnk he's either making it up or he found it next to a maxilla (which I doubt). I've seen a few rex teeth, and I think your bent one is pathological...which is cool.

The tooth in the pic is a Carch tooth, just to clear it up ;)

My rex tooth doesn't look as nice, if it would I wouldn't be able to afford it - it's pretty weathered, and I doubt it was found next to a maxilla. I have no Idea how he knew, maybe he guessed, or perhaps he knows something we dont? He seems very professional about his stuff.

Hello, I think your tooth is a maxillary Carcharodontosaurus right, I think, given the face "worn" and the shape of the tooth. But thought is not know since I have not found any mention of it (Currie and al. In 1990, Smith 2004).

post-3577-0-60443600-1333706139_thumb.jpg

Edited by Vari Raptor

Ignorance is bliss...

facebook.com/TheStoneHouse.fr