Fossils In Oregon?

RickNC

Will be in the Cape Blanco state park area this summer. Are there any fossils to be found? Will be near the coast and I noticed some cliffs in pictures of the area. Thanks.

Hey Rick, I collect lots of marine vertebrates much farther north but i believe the formations down there are the same. Or very close if not the same. Legally your not suppose to collect within state parks or from the cliffs along any of the Oregon coast. Depending on what sort of fossils you are looking for, any rocky beaches in the area should have some good fossils that can be found in boulders or concretions along the shore line. If you get a chance to stop by a library or Oregon bookstore, they may have a copy of Oregon Fossils which gives locations of both vertebrates and invertebrates fossils in that area. I hear that the rocks down there have similar fossils to the ones farther north that i collect in but there is a higher concentration of fossils. So i hear. ;)

I recently started a blog about vertebrates i collect in Oregon. Alot of which are from the coastal Astoria Fm. My Blog

I would love to get down that way sometime soon. Good luck on your trip.

- Nick

The majority of important fossil sites in Oregon are along the Lincoln County coastline, and there are a good number of good localities in that area that yield fossil invertebrates and vertebrates. Collecting at Cape Blanco is illegal, and there are really only poorly preserved shell molds at Cape Blanco State Park anyway. Good luck!

Bobby

I didn't mean that I would collect in the state park, but that I was in the area. That was just a landmark nearby that I figured would be familiar. Thanks.

All you need is a map to avoid the state parks. There are tons of miles of public beach to hunt, north and south of that area. Here are a couple links for ya,.. Link and Link ..good luck and don't forget to look for fossil wood.

Bob

All you need is a map to avoid the state parks. There are tons of miles of public beach to hunt, north and south of that area. Here are a couple links for ya,.. Link and Link ..good luck and don't forget to look for fossil wood.

Bob

Thanks!