If You Could Go To That One Place...

DeloiVarden

Hey Guys,

I can only imagine most of you are similar to me in at least the simple fact that you each have a particular spot you would really like to go fossil hunting. We all make due with spots pretty close to where we live and often times center our fossil collection around the fossils in our area, but inevitably you see fossils from other locations or read about fossil hunting adventures you would really like to share. It really doesn't have to be crazy exotic, but on the other hand don't hold back. Let us know where that one place is and why. I know I have many, but one place stands out. For me, it is the desserts of peru looking for colorful megalodon teeth. I know I can get them here too, but I want to go as much for the adventure as I do the finds. Now it is your turn to share!

Jason

4356669414_dba751c737.jpg

Edited by DeloiVarden

Taranaki.

I would love to hunt fossils with Dave Allen. I wouldn't even expect to keep anything. New Zealand just does that to me. :)

For that matter, the same goes for accompanying other Forum members at their favorite spots; so much could be learned!

Were I to chose a place to hunt on my own, Hell Creek comes to mind, prospecting for pre-K/T birds.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

New Zealand came to mind for me also, but Astrinos' posts are very compelling... oh, I don't know. Why do you ask such hard questions? :wacko:

Steve

i'd like to find fossils on Mars, but failing that, the desert in Nevada is where I'd like to end up collecting and living...

post-4577-0-76221900-1333505016_thumb.jpg

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

3 way tie between the Green River FM, The Trilobite Jam, and the Beecher beds.

Someday.... :) :sigh:

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Not to be confused with Walcott-Rust mentioned by Caleb...

Yoho National Park and I get to keep whatever I find :ninja: Hey it's only a wish list... :P

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Not to be confused with Walcott-Rust mentioned by Caleb...

Yoho National Park and I get to keep whatever I find :ninja: Hey it's only a wish list... :P

The Burgess shale would certainly be a treat as well!

Not that it is legal but the Burgess shale would be at the top of my list followed closely by Black Cat Mountain, Walcott Rust quarry and the Beecher trilobite bed

Jason,

I don't know about that. The photo looks too much like Mohave. Bakersfield is dry but it's not as dry as that. I've never been to South America but that one and the Atacama are said to be among the driest. You should go to Bakersfield in the summer and see how you like that first.

Yeah, like Auspex and Bullsnake, I've thought of going to New Zealand too (I want to see a tuatara and a kiwi) though I heard that you can find fossil shark teeth on Tahiti as well. Still, a trip to Texas to look for shark teeth (any formation really) or Kansas (Niobrara Chalk) would be great.

Jess

Hey Guys,

I can only imagine most of you are similar to me in at least the simple fact that you each have a particular spot you would really like to go fossil hunting. We all make due with spots pretty close to where we live and often times center our fossil collection around the fossils in our area, but inevitably you see fossils from other locations or read about fossil hunting adventures you would really like to share. It really doesn't have to be crazy exotic, but on the other hand don't hold back. Let us know where that one place is and why. I know I have many, but one place stands out. For me, it is the desserts of peru looking for colorful megalodon teeth. I know I can get them here too, but I want to go as much for the adventure as I do the finds. Now it is your turn to share!

Jason

4356669414_dba751c737.jpg

I too would pick New Zealand, even if there's nothing more than broken clam shells to find. :)

Context is critical.

easy one..Bear Gulch for a complete Helodus shark! :D Or a Belantsea!! oh...oh...oh..a complete Helicoprion!!!

post-2953-0-31447700-1333541817_thumb.jpgpost-2953-0-26593200-1333541837_thumb.jpg

I've often imagined what it would be like to be able to hunt Lee Creek after it has been closed for 3 years, with no one else collecting there and all of the great piles of Yorktown and Pungo weathered away exposing all kinds of stuff. To go and collect without time limits or anything and go day after day until I've scoured the whole area. Then, I'd set up a huge sifting station so I could sift the piles of material in the huge ponds of water. I'd go crazy!

Daryl.

I'd like to hunt the chalk of western Kansas back before it was hunted by many, and you could just hunt wherever you wanted, without having to try to find the land-owner, and getting premission.

I guess my one place would be where I hunt now, but at a different time.

Ramo

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

While I'm quite skeptical of what I see for sale from Morocco, I think it would be pretty cool to do a grand tour of the place, personally collecting a suite of treasures spanning the ages. Also Pleistocene in the Siberian tundra during the summer thaw......

Edited by danwoehr

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Awesome places guys! You have suggested many places I hadn't thought about, but now I want to go! Maybe travel will become cheaper, safer, and I will magically get more free time.

If I'm not limited to the present, I'd like to hunt for eurypterids when they were working on the Erie Canal. Or the Mazon Creek spoil piles in the mid-20th century.

Context is critical.

Hi All, firstly I would love to visit and hunt in South America Chile and Peru both appeal to me.

i am surprised so many off you lovely folk out there would come to little Ole New Zealand, we do have some of the best scenery in the world and some odd birds and the like, but i am sure its the amazing rare fossils found right here on my door step that i am sure a few of you would come here for.And my hand goes out to any of you that may someday venture down here for a fossil adventure.