If You Could Go To That One Place...

DeloiVarden

If I'm not limited to the present, I'd like to hunt for eurypterids when they were working on the Erie Canal. Or the Mazon Creek spoil piles in the mid-20th century.

If you get that time machine working, I suggest you go back to the Silurian and catch some fresh ones! ;)

If you get that time machine working, I suggest you go back to the Silurian and catch some fresh ones! ;)

With my luck, they probably were poisonous. :)

Context is critical.

The Edisto River! Hint! Hint! :D

"There is no difference between Zen and Purgatory and Time Warner Cable, and they are trying to tach me this, but I am a dim impatient pupil."

----- xonenine

Let's see...for me it would have to be the Miocene Agate Fossil Beds National Monument in Nebraska for the bone beds. I can only IMAGINE what it would be like to work on those! Miohippus...Menoceras...big entelodonts...Amphicyon...etc! I'm getting heart palpitations just THINKING about it!

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

My vote is with LORDPINEY, just because I live in Alberta has nothing to do with it

You want a place where with in three hours you are looking for what every your little heart want's

dinosaurs to plant cr$#, sea s h%$ or what ever

• New Members

My vote is, of course the South Antarctica then I would like to hunt some fossils of very,very RARE prehistoric animals. :D

I'm not a fan of these choose your favourite fossil or if you could only go to one place topics, simply because there are far too many worthy choices! :(

I've been to the Burgess Shale several times and had a blast digging there, even though I wasn't allowed to keep anything! I think it would have been amazing to accompany Charles Walcott back in 1909 when he first stumbled on the Burgess Shale! Imagine being a part of that historical expedition! :greenwnvy:

So I guess, in a round about way that would be my first choice, but considering I'm not able to travel back in time, it will only ever be a dream.

Some of the places I'd love to visit include: a trip to the Chengjiang laggerstatte for early Cambrian soft bodied fossils; next would be Wapiti Lake for Triassic fish and marine reptiles; I've always wanted to visit the Yukon and Northwest Territories to collect silicified trilobites; and speaking of trilobites, the Anti Atlas Mountains are on my list as well!

Come to think of it I'd love to visit any site that produces exquisitely preserved fossils. Call me greedy, but that's how I roll!

Dan

Edited by palaeopix

My vote is, of course the South Antarctica then I would like to hunt some fossils of very,very RARE prehistoric animals. :D

Good choice! Even Seymour Island, if a full Antarctic expedition was beyond practical means :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Ok, that one place.....

The Cretaceous Santana Formation in Brazil is sufficiently awesome

Context is critical.

While not exactly for fossil hunting, I'd love to go to the dead tree from the first Jurassic Park film (the scene where the trio meet up the Galis.) Apparently the tree (what's left of it) is still there in some pasture in Hawaii.

I was thinking along the same lines as those of you who said "Burgess Shale".. or Chengjiang, or any of the Precambrian sites like Ediacara Hills.... if only I could keep what I find, or even just one and hand over the rest! (OK, even if I couldn't keep any, it would still be a gas to collect at any of these places). Better yet would be to discover a new site where they hadn't yet closed it off to collecting. :ninja:

Of the places where I would be allowed to keep - Trilobite Jam.

The place I would like to go is not a single site but the large area of the Canadian Arctic Archipelago. Up north in the Canadian Islands are many out crops of the Ordovician, Silurian and Devonian. The diversity of trilobites is very high due to these time periods being close to the equator. Some of the trilobites found in this area occur no where else. I would love to add some of them to my collection but I doubt it will ever happen due to the permission one needs to visit these sites from the government.

Not long after I starting collecting fossils, I read about the range of fossils that could be found in New Zealand. As I recall, plant fossils as old as the Jurassic have been collected. Shark teeth from the Late Cretaceous to Pliocene at least are known as well. A friend had a few large Miocene or Pliocene crabs too. I have at least one article about Late Oligocene whales from there.

Years ago, I traded with a couple of collectors and bought a book on New Zealand geology (Jocelyn Thornton's book) in case I ever had the time and money to go there.

Then, after I joined this forum three years ago, I saw all the great stuff you've been finding and preparing. It would be great to see it in person.

Jess

Hi All, i am surprised so many off you lovely folk out there would come to little Ole New Zealand, we do have some of the best scenery in the world and some odd birds and the like, but i am sure its the amazing rare fossils found right here on my door step that i am sure a few of you would come here for.And my hand goes out to any of you that may someday venture down here for a fossil adventure.

A realistic trip would be to the Calvert Cliffs of Maryland for shells.

Fantasy trip would be to look for opalized clams in Australia.