Charleston Fossil Collectors Meeting

DeloiVarden

Hey guys,

I read a post on here where some folks in Singapore met up and shared finds and performed some trades. Seemed like a lot of fun. Does anyone know if this ever occurs in the Charelston area? I am not really talking about a fossil show, but rather more of a club type meeting (i.e. instead of hundreds, maybe 10-20 folks). If not, anyone interested in doing so? I would be in. PM me if you would be interested and I can start putting together a list of contacts. Even if I only get one response, I will set something up. But let me know if you are interested so I can contact you as well. You can bring stuff you just want to show (not trade/sell), or you can bring a bunch of trade material. I am not saying you can't bring stuff to sell, I would just rather the focus was on sharing and trading rather than selling. Let's see who is interested in doing what though. I have always want to trade more and now I have more stuff to trade than ever before but lack trading partners and frankly folks to share the hobby with. Surely there are at least a few folks on here that feel the same way. Anybody???

Jason

• 3 weeks later...

I know Summerville tried a fossil club that lasted a short time, Paul Bailey was the Pres. but I believe it disbanded due to lack of participation and places to hunt together. The Tampa Bay Club is a great group that have organized hunts at various locations that include all family members, guest speakers and a first class fossil show in March. I have never understood why a club wouldn't work in your area, it isn't for the lack of people that are interested in collecting. I wish you luck and hope people that are interested contact you---Tom

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

The Singapore Fossils Group started with two members, and we slowly expanded by finding new members through facebook, blogs and the newspaper.

We have a meetup once every three or four months, and what keeps us together is our friendship. We cultivate our mutual interest by going to a member's house each time to view and appreciate the fossils there. We also bring our own fossils for show-and-tell sessions, discuss about ongoings of the fossil world and best of all, we trade with one another. We even give or sell fossils at a very cheap price to newer members to help them start up their collection.

Why our group worked is also because fossil collectors are SO rare here, hence we are a close-knitted group.

All I can say is, it was worth it. I have confidence that this will work out for you as well, even though it may take some time. I look forward to u posting up pics of your meetups as well.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Thanks for the great ideas and encouragment. It looks like this group will be small too given the limited responses so far. I like the idea of cultivating though!