Minerals In Bentonite?

Ordovician_Odyssey

Hey guys,

The last few days I have been focusing my studies around a distinct K bentonite layer in a local formation (Gull RIver, Mid-late Ordovician). Now, it seems there are crystals imbedded in the K bentonite(Almost like miniature dykes), does anyone have ideas as to what it could be?

I will have pictures up within the next few hours.

Thanks for the help!

Cheers!

Shamus

-Shamus

The Ordovician enthusiast.

I would really like to see bentonite insitu. We use it as GCL's ( Geosynthetic clay liners) and for plugging/sealing wells. Not to mention Kaopectate :P .

It is hard to imagine the mining process since bentonite is so reactive with water. Also, after 9/11, shipments were backed up at the Canadian border for days due to low level radiation emitting from the mineral.

It's hard to remember why you drained the swamp when your surrounded by alligators.

Are you working the Millbrig K? Seems I read a paper a year, or so, ago questioning Laurentia and Baltica correlations??? I'll see if I can find it.

2012 NCAA Collegiate Round Ball Champs; and in '98, '96, '78, 58, '51, '49, and '48, too.

I would really like to see bentonite insitu.

Stick "bentonite" into the forum's search engine. I found a few insitu examples.

Edited by thanatocoenosis

2012 NCAA Collegiate Round Ball Champs; and in '98, '96, '78, 58, '51, '49, and '48, too.

I've found Pyrite crystals embedded within an Ordovician bentonite layer before. Don't know which though as I have not been able to find it on subsequent trips.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/