Baculites With A Mosasaur Bite Mark?

mikeymig

I bought an ammonite collection a while back and in a box full of Baculites I found this specimen with a hole punched in it. To me it looks like a Mosasaur bite mark but Im not an expert on Ammonites of the Pierre Seaway and was hoping if a collector from Montana or Wyoming could help. There were no other specimens (40-50) in the collection that had a hole in it and I have never seen one on a Baculites just on big ammonites, but you may have. The specimen is 5" long and almost 2" wide.

Thanks

mikey

post-7129-0-84824800-1333911763_thumb.jpg

post-7129-0-81009900-1333911909_thumb.jpg

Edited by mikeymig

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

If there is matching damage on the other side, it would strengthen the idea.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I will have to take a pic of that later and post it but it kinda looks like it has one but it isnt as well preserved as this side is.

led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

I don't think it is a Mos. bite for this reason. I am sure that the jaw bite pressure is substantial and a little baculites compared to the size of a Mos. would have crushed it like an egg not just produced a hole----Tom

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

X2^

I have seen these types of impressions on a nautiloid of Silurian age, they are around 10 impressions arranged in a u shape, it looks just like a bite but obviously isn't. I do know that an in depth analysis is planned for it but no ideas at this point as to what caused it.

A number of abstracts-papers describe this: previously interpreted as bite marks but now thought to be limpet scar marks on Placenticeras (example). If that theory is correct then Baculites were certainly good candidates as well.

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

here's one from Alberta with a bite mark from a marine reptile.

130122d9.jpg

209f979d.jpg

d9f8f60f.jpg

Edited by Guest

Your Highness... that thing is wicked cool!!! I love the colors in it!!

History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.

~Sir Winston Churchill

Your Highness... that thing is wicked cool!!! I love the colors in it!!

Thanks Vin. it's much more colorful in hand. i still have to seal it.

I find enough of these things with similar bite marks. I just call them "Baculites with possible bite marks", but in my head... they are bite marks...

.....or limpet scars.

Edited by jpc

I dont know but the other side of my Baculites from the puncture mark looks a lot like Lordpineys specimen (its a very colorful and cool specimen LP!). Foshunter Tom, I know what you mean but Im pretty sure there were young Mos cruising around the sea looking for things to bite.

What do u guys think now?

mikey

post-7129-0-12965300-1334012168_thumb.jpg

post-7129-0-51009500-1334012172_thumb.jpg

led zeppelin

Well, it is certainly possible. There were probably other things biting Baculites, too, so forecasting the crushing power of any purported attacker doesn't really further the speculation. When contemplating the fossil, keep in mind that the in-filled sediment came after death, so impressions in it may counter-indicate damage by biting.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Well, it is certainly possible. There were probably other things biting Baculites, too, so forecasting the crushing power of any purported attacker doesn't really further the speculation. When contemplating the fossil, keep in mind that the in-filled sediment came after death, so impressions in it may counter-indicate damage by biting.

I had similar thoughts. Stating that some of these marks are bite marks seems pretty speculative; although some could be. To say they are from a mosasaur feels like biting into a huge assumption. There were a few mosasaur contemporaries that could leave similar 'damage' and I like to try to keep a little wider perspective.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ