Calcaneus fossils - Bison or Cow?

Evans

Recently a client of mine showed me a mastodon tooth that had been found east of San Antonio. (See Hunting Trip section "so my uncle found this big tooth thingy" 9/11/08). On a recent and very brief stop at the site I managed to find three calcaneus bones, possibly bison. The reason I am not completely convinced is due to the fact that a cow skull was found about 150 ft downstream, although the cow skull was obviously not fossilized and greatly decayed. However I have no idea how closely the calcaneus of a bison and a cow resemble each other.

I also have no idea about the other fourth bone fragment, and how can you determine if a turtle shell fragment is fossilized or not.

Thanks for the help.

Brian

post-526-1221166140_thumb.jpg

post-526-1221166154_thumb.jpg

post-526-1221166168_thumb.jpg

post-526-1221166187_thumb.jpg

post-526-1221166196_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Brian Evans

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.

Recently a client of mine showed me a mastodon tooth that had been found east of San Antonio. (See Hunting Trip section "so my uncle found this big tooth thingy" 9/11/08). On a recent and very brief stop at the site I managed to find three calcaneus bones, possibly bison. The reason I am not completely convinced is due to the fact that a cow skull was found about 150 ft downstream, although the cow skull was obviously not fossilized and greatly decayed. However I have no idea how closely the calcaneus of a bison and a cow resemble each other.

I also have no idea about the other fourth bone fragment, and how can you determine if a turtle shell fragment is fossilized or not.

Thanks for the help.

Brian

It's "calcaneus" only in the human skeleton. In other animals it's called "calcaneum."

It's difficult to ID these bones from images, but you can check out the comparison of cow and bison calcanea in this image (see images with other views, as well).

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Harry

Thanks for the great pictures and thank you for the clarification on the terminology.

Even with the great pictures I am still having difficulty reaching a firm determination. The finer details almost push me towards cow, but the size according to the pictures say bison. The larger calcaneum is 6.75 in x 3 in and the smaller ones are 5.75 in x 2.5 in.. Would you know if the cow calcaneum can reach this size.

Thanks,

Brian

Brian Evans

Harry

Thanks for the great pictures and thank you for the clarification on the terminology.

Even with the great pictures I am still having difficulty reaching a firm determination. The finer details almost push me towards cow, but the size according to the pictures say bison. The larger calcaneum is 6.75 in x 3 in and the smaller ones are 5.75 in x 2.5 in.. Would you know if the cow calcaneum can reach this size.

Thanks,

Brian

I'd say that size here (with so few examples) is a secondary consideration. Try to match by morphology. Are they scaled-up (or down) versions of one another? Do any or all of your calcanea conform to the details of one of the bones in my images?

If you still can't decide, your local large-animal veterinarian or college archeology or biology department may have a comparison collection you can use.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Harry - Thanks again for the advise and the images. Ill let you know when I make a final determination.

Brian

Brian Evans

• 3 years later...

The two first are cow's calcanea. The third are from bison.

The outter margin of the sustentaculum in bison forms is curved (continous), and protuberant. In Bos is non protuberant and shaped poorly curved.

Greetings.

• 1 year later...

The fourth bone is a costal from an emydid turtle carapace.

Edited by RichW9090

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".

The two first are cow's calcanea. The third are from bison.

The outter margin of the sustentaculum in bison forms is curved (continous), and protuberant. In Bos is non protuberant and shaped poorly curved.

Greetings.

Any way to illustrate this for us lay people? It's hard for me to see what you are describing in the pictures. Thanks!

Olsen illustrates it in his monograph on postcranial differences between Bison and Bos.

Calcaneum

The entire paper is available HERE.
Edited by RichW9090
  • I found this Informative 1

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".

• 1 year later...

Hi is this topic still going. I have this bone take from the Peace River this past August 2014. I was told it may be the right digit #5 metatarsal of a

giant sloth. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Harry

Possibly #5, definitely not #6. :D

Might help to post a photo, or to start a new thread about it.

• 6 years later...