Is There Such A Thing As A Fossil Dictionary?

jacob

I was wondering is there was such a thing as a fossil dictionary? You know to help with words and terms? For example an ossicle

Biiiiig topic! Fossil-speak is an amalgam of the argot of many disciplines.

SOME

SOME MORE

MORE YET

I usually google an unfamiliar word or term when they pop up here... ;)

• I found this Informative 1

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Excellent links Chas! :)

Thank you for posting them - Bookmarked!

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Some terms still defy googling like "praemut." I see it in older publications (and assume it's a Latin abbreviation for "premutation?") and employed like this: "Odontaspis (Synodontaspis) cuspidata praemut. teretidens. I know it doesn't refer to an apparent variation within a species because that's when "var." was used. If it were a subspecies, the name would just directly follow the species name. Who knows what that means? I'm guessing it means something like a previous alias.

Jess

Biiiiig topic! Fossil-speak is an amalgam of the argot of many disciplines.

SOME

SOME MORE

MORE YET

I usually google an unfamiliar word or term when they pop up here... ;)

Harvard's Museum of Comparative Zoology has a good page on morphology and terminology.

2012 NCAA Collegiate Round Ball Champs; and in '98, '96, '78, 58, '51, '49, and '48, too.

Some terms still defy googling like "praemut." I see it in older publications (and assume it's a Latin abbreviation for "premutation?") and employed like this: "Odontaspis (Synodontaspis) cuspidata praemut. teretidens. I know it doesn't refer to an apparent variation within a species because that's when "var." was used. If it were a subspecies, the name would just directly follow the species name. Who knows what that means? I'm guessing it means something like a previous alias.

Jess

Henri Cappetta, in his Fossilium Catalogus I : Animalia - lasmobranchii Post-Triadici - 2006, says :

teretidens, Sylvestrilamia (WHITE, 1931) : Odontaspis (Synodontaspis) cuspidata praemut. teretidens; p. 53, fig. 16-44. Yprésien inférieur (Blackheath Beds), Abbey Wood, Kent, Grande-Bretagne.

[Esp.-type du genre Sylvestrilamia CAPPETTA & NOLF, 2005]. Odopntaspididae.

He wrote in order : the name of the species, the valid genus (AUTHOR, year) : Genus (Subgenus) species praemut. [[ I understand as you ! )]] var. ?

If I well understand, your Odontaspis (Synodontaspis) cuspidata praemut. teretidens is now the valide type species of Sylvestrilamia.

Edited by Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Pareidolia : here

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Hey thanks for the links and help so fa guys :) I got a couple of scientific papers for my birthday and i am baffled by some words :P

I ran into the same problem with some papers published in a couple of issues of the Mosasaur (a publication periodically put out by the Deleware Valley Paleontological Society) these links should help :)

There is a wonderful handbook that I think you will find very helpful. It is called "The Handbook of Paleontological Terms" by Robert W. Sinibaldi. This book is currently in print and should be available at Amazon.com.

According to Earl Manning when queried about "praemut",

"what was meant by the term was "variant", or "permutation". A true variant of a species would today be considered a subspecies of that species"

Brent Ashcraft

Edited by ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

Frankly,it would be a hoot if we could have a fossil dictionary as a header, supplied by members. Each term as entered could be listed alphabetically, and when clicked on, it would take you to a definition, plus any discussion by members. Of course I speak with the enthusiasm of ignorance, as I am sure it would be a tremendous pain in the keester.

My first words

leaverite- nice looking, but too heavy to carry back.

Modified leaverite- too heavy for you to carry back, but when stealthily slipped into your partners pack, can be brought back to the vehicle.

Dealy weapon- partner discovers leaverite and beats you senseless with it, hopefully not destroying the fossil

Daniel Webster Ashcraft

Seriously though, it would be something very useful.

Edited by ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

That is what I am thinking, but then again I have no computer skills. So it is kind of like my wife suggesting WE build a deck.

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

Thanks for asking about that.

Jess

According to Earl Manning when queried about "praemut",

"what was meant by the term was "variant", or "permutation". A true variant of a species would today be considered a subspecies of that species"

Brent Ashcraft

Frankly,it would be a hoot if we could have a fossil dictionary as a header, supplied by members. Each term as entered could be listed alphabetically, and when clicked on, it would take you to a definition, plus any discussion by members. Of course I speak with the enthusiasm of ignorance, as I am sure it would be a tremendous pain in the keester.

My first words

leaverite- nice looking, but too heavy to carry back.

Modified leaverite- too heavy for you to carry back, but when stealthily slipped into your partners pack, can be brought back to the vehicle.

Dealy weapon- partner discovers leaverite and beats you senseless with it, hopefully not destroying the fossil

Daniel Webster Ashcraft

Seriously though, it would be something very useful.

LOL those were awesome, loved the modified most of all.

Robert
Southeast, MO