Brownies Beach + Dogs

newsharktoothfinder

I'm hoping to take a trip to Brownies Beach / Bayfront Park (Calvert Cliffs area) when the water warms up but before the jellyfish attack. Does anyone know if (leashed) dogs are still allowed? I found a few older references to them being permitted, but I'd hate to drive all the way out there and then find out they're forbidden.

Also, any hints on training them to sniff out good fossils? Any chance they can still smell the shark scent after 15 million years?

Be prepared to pay a fee: http://mysite.verizo...each/index.html (especially on weekends). Given that this site is frequently visited, often with families, and one of the very few that still allows fossil hunting, I suggest to keep dogs leashed and to haul out their droppings in plastic bags and dispose of properly.

I'm on board with the responsible dog owner bit -- I'm not a fan of the people who tell people not to worry when their dog is jumping on some kid because "he's friendly" or let them run free because "he hates being on a leash" -- those are issues of poor training by the owner. I'm also figuring it's a bad idea to get too close to cliffs -- I'd hate for someone to be digging up my dog's fossil 15 million years from now.

Unfortunately, the site linked above doesn't have info on dogs (although it's a great reference for the fossils). If anyone has current info, I'd be grateful to avoid disappointing the kids by forcing them to get back in the car and drive to a farther site. Like I said, I've seen some mentions in articles a few years old that dogs are allowed, but these things change....

Just found this website - mentions dogs on a leash are permitted.

Don't know how recent it is. You could try to call the town of Chesapeake Beach and ask.

Hope this is helpful.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me