Are There Any Good Spots For Sharkteeth In Tennesee

arien

Hi there I am A collector of shark teeth from holland and I come over for my holliday in Tennesee are there any good spots for finding shark teeth over there

Hope to hear from you greats Arien

Where will you be in Tennessee? There are sites in Mississippi that are not too far (about a 2-hour drive) from Memphis, but it's a lot farther (5-6 hrs drive) to get from Chattanooga or Knoxville to good shark tooth sites.

Don

I think that Tennesee only produces bradyodont (paleozoic - early sharks) teeth. Maybe JimB88 can help you out there.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Depends what part of the state your in. There is Cretaceous marine sediments in west TN that yield sharks teeth..but most of the sites are off-limits to private collectors (coon Creek being the prime example, along with a few spots in McNairy County.) In East TN the sediments are too old for modern sharks teeth. However, as Tim mentioned, there are sites where Paleozoic shark-like fish teeth (Bradyodonts) may be found (though in general, these tend not to look anything like modern sharks teeth with only few exceptions.)

Edited by JimB88

20 mile creek in northern Miss. has cretaceous teeth about a 45 minute drive from the Tenn. border. North of Tupelo , Miss.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks