A few more Ordovician finds

Northern Sharks

No hunting this weekend, so I figured I'd post a few of the pieces I've found on my last couple of trips. The first 2 are a couple of small crinoids (Isotomocrinus) and the third is a real rarity, at least from this quarry. It doesn't look like much, but it is a very nice Cyclocystoid. There are at least 3 on this plate, with 2 in the picture. Thankfully this slab was at the top of a steep pile, or it wouldn't have been easily obtainable. Amazing what gravity, a rope and a sheer face will allow you to move.

post-77-1221406648_thumb.jpg

post-77-1221406681_thumb.jpg

post-77-1221406723_thumb.jpg

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Plates of fossils are pretty dang cool. On Plate 2, looks

like the entire crinoid is there? Beautiful.

On that last plate, is the round

fossil what you are pointing out?

Welcome to the forum!

Yes, the small "firepit" looking fossil is the Cyclocystoid. The second one is just above it, but on a slightly different angle and mising a couple of segments.

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

I just did a quick Google for Cyclocystoid; very cool and very rare! Congrats!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I just did a quick Google for Cyclocystoid; very cool and very rare! Congrats!

I don't think that Northern Shark has any idea as to HOW rare. I have been going to this quarry for almost 20 years and only have 2. He has 2+ in just a few months. Talk about beginners luck.

crinus

Beautiful fossils! I like second picture but the first picture long stem is rare!

Mostly I found is piece up to about one inch long crinoid's stem!

Can't wait go out for fossil hunting soon! Chicago, northeast Illinois and northwest Indiana have very bad weather! Almost 11 inch of rain and flooded everywhere and in my basement! Good thing that rain stop for now! Houston area is bad, too!

WOW that quarry just keeps producing! thanks for sharing them Del, they really have some drool factor!

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

It really is a fantastic site, but I'm not Del (he's Obsessed1 if I'm not mistaken) I'm Kevin

oh my! im going insain, sorry! i saw N.... in your name and i thought N.AL.Hunter! who is Delos..... Sorry! anyway it is an awesome site! great fossils

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Guest solius symbiosus

Yep, the Cyclos are very nice; the rarest of rare. I saw a plate in a Paleo lab last week(among a lot of other nice stuff) that had 8 on one slab, and 6 on another. I'll try and get a pic the next time that I'm there.

• 2 weeks later...

could anyone tell me if its possible to find one from the mississippian period

post-792-1222823808_thumb.jpg

I like crinoids......

Yes. Here's a link to an article that says they can be found from the early Ordovician to the early Carboniferous (Mississippian). The 3rd paragraph down gives an introduction to these rarities

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3790/is_/ai_n9295266

Yes. Here's a link to an article that says they can be found from the early Ordovician to the early Carboniferous (Mississippian). The 3rd paragraph down gives an introduction to these rarities

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3790/is_/ai_n9295266

Thank you very much! Im not sure, but the picture I put on, i think, Is a cyclocystoid - it was found in huntsville AL

I like crinoids......

I am pretty sure that you have a cyclocystoid. I sharper picture would help, but I think you have a VERY rare beauty.

crinus

I like the way "ordovician" sounds - too bad there's none of that around me anywhere. stuff tends to look kind of Gothic. Must be fairly old... Guess I'm going to have to look up "cyclocystoid" too. That and have that fingerprint on the funny money run through a bunch of databases to see if it's really Kevin, not Del...

Just kidding. I want to find something really rare. You know what's really frustrating? When you find something, and then ask somebody who "knows fossils" what it is, and that person gets excited and tells you it's something really cool, and you then go home and research it and find out the person didn't know what they were talking about and it's not the really cool thing - it's something common and boring. Did that ever happen to you? It happened to me.

...You know what's really frustrating? When you find something, and then ask somebody who "knows fossils" what it is, and that person gets excited and tells you it's something really cool, and you then go home and research it and find out the person didn't know what they were talking about and it's not the really cool thing - it's something common and boring. Did that ever happen to you? It happened to me.

Better that finding out after you chucked a boring looking lump that it was the best fossil you ever held in your hands!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!