Why is this tooth so different?

Jamie&Jimmy

May sound like a dumb question.... apologies for that. Found near Jacksonville Beach while hunting for shark teeth. "Maybe it's just a lot older" didn't seem to cover it. : )

DSCN0263.jpg

If indeed it is a tooth, it looks to be a posterior judging by the root-blade ratio. It also looks to be heavily water-worn

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Doesnt look like a tooth to me either. I find rocks like that here in Tx and I believe they are worn pyrite. Not sure what it would be in flordia.

Well, it's symmetrical enough to maybe be organic, but I just don't see much about it that is toothlike (other than being triangular).

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

It's hard to tell from the picture of the back side, but is that a round indentation in the center of the back? To me the back doesn't look tooth-like at all. Also, is the front really that metallic looking or is it just the lighting in the photograph?

From the photos it almost looks like some kind of waterworn purse clasp, weird shaped zipper pull or something along that line.

Does it seem heavy or light for it's size compared to other similar sized teeth.

If it really is as metallic looking as the first photo makes it seem, can you run a metal detector past it and see if you get a reading?

Carpe Diem, Carpe Somnium

The official word from the Department of Vertebrate Paleontology at FMNH is that it is a fossilized mammalian epiphysis - not sure of species but perhaps raccoon or some type of cat. So not a tooth, but nonetheless a fossil and a relatively unique one. : )

• 4 weeks later...

I definitely don't want to override the other opinions provided, especially since I'm a newbie. However, your peice (although more worn) reminds me of a couple of peices I found at Edisto Beach, SC. I've been told that these are some type of skulls.

post-916-1224298110_thumb.jpg

post-916-1224298165_thumb.jpg

I would have to agree that it looks like a fish cranial element. I have never seen an epiphysis that robust. All that I have seen from various species, terrestrial and marine, have been thin and delicate.