Pliocene - Pleistocene mandible?

JohnJ

Going back through some earlier finds in my collection, I saw this jaw that I never ID'd. Any ideas...Joe, Harry, anyone? Thanks.

post-420-1221540563_thumb.jpg

post-420-1221540604_thumb.jpg

post-420-1221540631_thumb.jpg

post-420-1221540657_thumb.jpg

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

croc/gator?

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Marine, terrestrial, or unknown?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I saw John's jaw first hand. Based on locality info which will remain undisclosed, rest assured that it is terrestrial in nature. I first thought croc/gator but dismissed that notion. If I was looking at the specimen right, one end which might be approaching the symphesis had no teeth, and I've never seen a gator missing his front teeth. Then again, maybe what I thought was the symphesis is actually back near the ramus, in which case the croc/gator explanation would be more plausible.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

I saw John's jaw first hand. Based on locality info which will remain undisclosed, rest assured that it is terrestrial in nature. I first thought croc/gator but dismissed that notion. If I was looking at the specimen right, one end which might be approaching the symphesis had no teeth, and I've never seen a gator missing his front teeth. Then again, maybe what I thought was the symphesis is actually back near the ramus, in which case the croc/gator explanation would be more plausible.

When you allow for the possibility that this is a crocodilian jaw, Dan, are you implying with confidence that these are individual peg-like teeth and not the roots of double-rooted teeth?

What are the age constraints (no earlier than / no later than) on the jaw. These stream-polished bits of bone are often unidentifiable with certainty.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Harry,

Welcome back into the fold. You raised a point that I had failed to consider with the single vs. double rooted teeth, and that is the beauty of this board. The area is mapped as Miocene-Pliocene overlain with Pleistocene terrace deposits, and Miocene and Pliocene surface exposures in Texas are represented almost exclusively by terrestrial deposits for reasons I have not fully researched or explored.

• I found this Informative 1

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Harry may be right; there might not be enough diagnostic features left to ID it with certainty. However, these extra views may help.

post-420-1221620064_thumb.jpg

post-420-1221620081_thumb.jpg

post-420-1221620095_thumb.jpg

post-42-1221670646_thumb.jpg

Well Harry, the root of the problem...is that three of them appear to be oval or round. However, one of the root cavities may be slightly deformed. The photo below is fairly accurate as to shape. There may also be some difference in the alignment of the root cavities.

post-420-1221710494_thumb.jpg

Well Harry, the root of the problem...is that three of them appear to be oval or round. However, one of the root cavities may be slightly deformed. The photo below is fairly accurate as to shape. There may also be some difference in the alignment of the root cavities.

post-420-1221710494_thumb.jpg

Hmmm. Giant armadillo premolars are more or less round, rounder than the molars anyway. So are ground sloth deciduous premolars.

The alveolus that is just opening at the end of the tooth row may contain an adult tooth -- an enamel cap, at least. An x-ray may provide an answer to the question of the identity of this critter.

Let us know what you find out.

• I found this Informative 1

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest