Megalodon to be featured on Monster Quest

Metopocetus

During an upcoming season of History Channels Monster Quest one episode will include megalodon. We had a guy at the museum filming for it today.

Did any of you see that show the other day, where they were talking about Megladon, and one of the experts pronounced it "Ma gal a don" instead of "Meg a lah don". Does anyone else say it this way, or was that guy just trying to sound smarter than everyone else?

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

I did see that. Jurassic fight club. I thought it sounded odd but some people just pronounce things differently and have been for so long that trying to change to the more generally accepted pronunciation isn't possible. I don't think he was trying to sound smarter.

Did any of you see that show the other day, where they were talking about Megladon, and one of the experts pronounced it "Ma gal a don" instead of "Meg a lah don". Does anyone else say it this way, or was that guy just trying to sound smarter than everyone else?

If I recall correctly, a pronunciation once favored by Bob Purdy :o

lol...do they ever find the monster?

They did find a huge squid. It was either the Giant or Humboldt squid that was at EPIC proportions!

Tha tighin fodham, fodham, fodham!

They did find a huge squid. It was either the Giant or Humboldt squid that was at EPIC proportions!

I think it was called a colossal squid.

Guest N.AL.hunter

OK. lets think about this for a moment. On the History Channel the other day, I saw a program talking about Megs and some type of killer whale. Anyway, during the show it was mentioned how many teeth a meg had throughout its life and how many it could lose. So here is the point... if there have been just a few 7inch teeth found, there must be a heck of a lot more out there left to find! Maybe most are under deeper waters, but there must be a lot out there. Thousands of them! So there is hope for all of us to find a really large tooth, we just have to figure out where and how to retrieve them. Hey, they bring up Pleistocene stuff all the time from the bottom of the North Sea, so why can't we do the same for the Miocene?

We need a rich backer to pay for the equipment and expedition.

Jurassic Fight Club is a joke. They have a "Paleontology Expert", what the heck job is that? That's not even a title that's real, it's just made up for TV and the guy doesn't know anything but acts like everything he says is based on fact.

I think it was called a colossal squid.

Colossal squid are found in the arctic circles I believe. The mega-squid they found was in the sea of Cortez. So, it was either a Humboldt, or a Giant.

Oh, and if Megalodon were to still be alive in like a deep water trench, then it is likely a different species now. The morphological and anatomical adaptations that would have to have happened if Megalodon were to move to deep water.....is well this is becoming a run-on sentence :P

Basically, if Megalodon is still alive, it isn't Megalodon anymore.

P.S. why is Megalodon highlighted in red when I type it. It shouldn't be listed as a spelling error <_<:P

• 3 months later...

Maybe some of the scientists from Jurassic Park can get some DNA somehow and recreate a few, then release them into the wild. Then, when they lose their teeth they'll be pure white. Divers (those that live long enough) can find them and sell them to us.

I was planning on perhaps investing in some diving equipment and get a certification, but if that happens, I'd cancel.

Kevin Wilson

Guest bmorefossil
Maybe some of the scientists from Jurassic Park can get some DNA somehow and recreate a few, then release them into the wild. Then, when they lose their teeth they'll be pure white. Divers (those that live long enough) can find them and sell them to us.

I was planning on perhaps investing in some diving equipment and get a certification, but if that happens, I'd cancel.

lol yea so would i, but im sure the waters around maryland would be way to cold for them

• 5 months later...
They got some really good sounds once

That show always sets the scene for you with a guy who is described as, or who describes himself as, an expert on everything that lives in the given forest, river, lake, or section of ocean. He always swears that he saw something he doesn't recognize so it must be some creature from at least 10,000 years ago or more. He and his buddies go on a trip with radar/sonar/FLIR and there's a big blip on the screen near the end of the show but then they lose it. The mystery continues.

I can't resist watching it when there's nothing else on and hope for a tip on a good barbecue place wherever they are in case I'm passing through.

Jess

If I recall correctly, a pronunciation once favored by Bob Purdy :o

The correct pronunciation is "MEG-uh-lo-don" (accent on the first syllable). There is a simple test for this. There are at least two other words with the "megalo-" combining form. There is "Megalosaurus," a theropod genus, which is pronounced "MEG-uh-lo-sor-us" (accent on the first syllable) not "muh-GAL-oh-sor-us," (accent on the second syllable). I have never heard anyone say it the second way. There is "megalomaniac," which is pronounced "MEG-uh-lo-main-ee-ak," not "muh-GAL-oh-main-ee-ak."

• 3 weeks later...

Perhaps this time they will team up with Ghost Hunters and find an Abominable Don and have some nice shadows and sounds to run after. Ah the chills........

• 3 weeks later...

Being a diver is amazing fun.... and you dont always have to dive in the oceans.

Ive found some good fossils underwater, though they were slightly dirty (thats what cleaning is for!)

But I would go down looking for giant sharks teeth..... in a non-manned submarine!

"To do is to be." -Socrates

"People are Stupid." -Wizard's First Rule

"Happiness is a warm Jeep." -Auspex