Fish head in a Fish head!

Paleo2k

For the last few months I've been working on a Xiphactinus skull for Fred Nuss of Hoisington, KS. The plan was to remove the entire skull and associated ribs/verts/pecs, etc and do a 3D articulation. The skull appeared to be nearly 100% complete and in a remarkable state of preservation with even gill arches and filaments intact! Something I've not seen before!

As the A side gill structures were slowly removed I was surprised to find a tooth row which became a mandible which became another, smaller, skull to include Sclerotic rings! It appears to be an articulated Ichthyodectes skull lodged in the throat of the Xiph, who has since been dubbed "Heimlich".

Any insight or input regarding this specimen would be greatly appreciated.

Todd M Hoelmer

paleo62@yahoo.com

Fred Nuss

nfossils@embarqmail.com

post-780-1221689108_thumb.jpg

post-780-1221689147_thumb.jpg

Todd M. Hoelmer

the Skeleton Closet

If this wonderful fossil can be prepared so as to clearly display this unique event frozen in time, it will be a public blockbuster! Congratulations, you have your work cut out for you.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

That is DANG COOL!!! I would love to see it better, but with my slow computer, I dont open any files over 100K. But im thinking what auspex just said. That really would be quite something to show the public!

RB

Awesome piece! Do you have any photos from farther away that shows the entire specimen? I would be very hesitant to continue with your 3D preparation and keep it at 2D to preserve the interaction between the 2 species.

I can't wait to see the progress!!!

• 1 month later...

Had I any idea what was sandwiched between the operculums of the Xiph I likely would have opted for a 2D prep. Unfortunately, or fortunately, Fred and I had decided on a 3D prep and the operculums with the surprise inside were in the last mini-slab to come out of the field jacket. By that point nearly all of the other Xiph elements were essentially cleaned up and awaiting restoration so we decided to proceed with the 3D. I just hope I can do it justice!

The the smaller 'obstruction' skull was originally determined to be Ichthyodectes but other mandibular elements identified as Saurodon were today found to fit after concretion was removed from the fractured ends of the respective elements. So Heimlich gagged on a Saurodon rather than Ichthyodectes!

I hope to have the Saurodon disarticulated by the end of the weekend and will new post pics at that time.

'Heimlich-the Asphyxiated Xiphactinus' is expected to be unveiled at the 2009 Tucson Fossil Show in Feb.

New pics shortly!

post-780-1225499448_thumb.jpg

post-780-1225499499_thumb.jpg

Todd M. Hoelmer

the Skeleton Closet

Guest Nicholas

Simply astounding! The find in itself with such a preserved event is breathe taking, but the re-articulation of the fossils both the difficultly and results are quite gargantuan. Well done.

OK, 3-D works...

Awsome job!

(Can you 3-D the Saurodon & mount it "in situ"?)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

you have talent my fossil friend, simply amazing work,what a beauty. thank you for this honor.

also i have gravel for sale check the trade room or my posts. god hunting.

You have the coolest job. I also love the two projects you posted in your gallery. Please keep the reports/pictures/stories coming.

Yes, that is really neat! Astounding work! Precision to detail.

I can't come up with anything clever enough for my signature...yet.

Had I any idea what was sandwiched between the operculums of the Xiph I likely would have opted for a 2D prep. Unfortunately, or fortunately, Fred and I had decided on a 3D prep and the operculums with the surprise inside were in the last mini-slab to come out of the field jacket. By that point nearly all of the other Xiph elements were essentially cleaned up and awaiting restoration so we decided to proceed with the 3D. I just hope I can do it justice!

The the smaller 'obstruction' skull was originally determined to be Ichthyodectes but other mandibular elements identified as Saurodon were today found to fit after concretion was removed from the fractured ends of the respective elements. So Heimlich gagged on a Saurodon rather than Ichthyodectes!

I hope to have the Saurodon disarticulated by the end of the weekend and will new pics at that time.

'Heimlich-the Asphyxiated Xiphactinus' is expected to be unveiled at the 2009 Tucson Fossil Show in Feb.

New pics shortly!

Paleo2k - I'm assuming that this is a cast of the original bones....?

Paleo2k - I'm assuming that this is a cast of the original bones....?

Nope...the real thing though I would love to mold it before articulation. Just not sure if I'll have the time before Tucson.

Todd M. Hoelmer

the Skeleton Closet

Nope...the real thing though I would love to mold it before articulation. Just not sure if I'll have the time before Tucson.

Wow...

OK, lots of questions then....

How did you get the operculums (sp?) out of the matrix w/o breaking them, and then how the heck are they strong enough to support the back of the skull?

How are you holding it all together?

It looks like the lower teeth are reconstructions....how much reconstruction did you have to do?

Nice, nice specimen!!

Wow...

OK, lots of questions then....

How did you get the operculums (sp?) out of the matrix w/o breaking them, and then how the heck are they strong enough to support the back of the skull?

How are you holding it all together?

It looks like the lower teeth are reconstructions....how much reconstruction did you have to do?

Nice, nice specimen!!

Actually the articulated Xiph skull you see in the pics is a cast of a specimen I assisted with many years ago. Heimlich is currently disarticulated but that is soon to change.

Todd M. Hoelmer

the Skeleton Closet

Actually the articulated Xiph skull you see in the pics is a cast of a specimen I assisted with many years ago. Heimlich is currently disarticulated but that is soon to change.

OK - I feel better. I was SURE that was a cast....Niobrara bones wouldn't be that 3D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Thanks! I had intended to mount the saurodon exactly where I found it but unless I installed a hinge on the operculum or made some such other accommodation you really couldn't get a good look at it. Instead I made a crude but approximate replica and mounted that in the back of his throat. Not very obvious in many of the photos unfortunately.

OK, 3-D works...

Awsome job!

(Can you 3-D the Saurodon & mount it "in situ"?)

Todd M. Hoelmer

the Skeleton Closet

I'm glad that you bumped this topic. I went back and looked at the post and the gallery. WOW!!! Great job!