What is a Good Hunt

grampa dino

post-310-1221774699_thumb.jpg

Bone Digger and I, had a day trip last week and maybe we are getting just a little spoiled?

The photo is what I found that day, Bone Digger did just a little better in the count of fossils.

What is a good day out in the field? JUst getting back to camp to a few cold beer, comming

back with a few fossils and a camera few pf photo's

What is a good day Fossil Hunting for you?

A good day for me is comprised of any of the following: 100 perfect echinoids, 50 ammonites, 10 crabs, 200 shark teeth, a couple spear points, a nice crinoid crown, a couple nice trilobites, or anything Pleistocene I don't yet have. An exceptional day would be a mammoth tooth, a complete starfish, new species of something that somebody is ready and willing to describe.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

a good day for me is to add a new species of trilobite to my collection from my local collecting sites. i usually succeed half the time.

Brock

Good day is started out breathing lol

then coffee the boat and a place to go,always find something interesting and have been saving a ton on fishing corks!!!!

Found some nice lures too some boat anchors lol

Didnt go to jail

make it home with something ,all or any combo of the above makes my day B)

Finding a site, any site, that does not have cell phone service (I know I can just turn it off, leave it in the truck or drop it in the nearest stream, but it doesn't feel the same).

Brian Evans

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.

A good day for me is comprised of any of the following: 100 perfect echinoids, 50 ammonites, 10 crabs, 200 shark teeth, a couple spear points, a nice crinoid crown, a couple nice trilobites, or anything Pleistocene I don't yet have. An exceptional day would be a mammoth tooth, a complete starfish, new species of something that somebody is ready and willing to describe.

Dan,

I will trade my 5 excellent days for one of your good ones.

A good day...

...one spiked with the adrenalin of discovery and adventure (and living to tell about it).

...watching my wife, or a friend find something amazing.

...back in the day when my Dad was able to, we would hike or paddle all day, then pitch a tent and discuss the day's finds around the fire. Good days!

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

heading out to a spot that seems as though its never seen another person and mabey finding a couple of things to wiegh me down on the long hike back thats what its all about ;)

a heckle a day keeps the doctor away

I get a big kick out of watching my boy swell with pride after setting collecting goals and then making them happen by the sweat of his brow over time. Last night we put his best finds to date into a 12 x 16 Riker mount. Now he is asking to find a perfect spear point. He thumbs his nose at the preforms I try to pass his way. Man, kids these days sure are hard to please!

Grüße,

Finding something I don't have, going to a new spot, no cell phone signal (as previously stated by others), just being out to collect and enjoy the view, and finally, not hurting myself in the process.

I was wondering what a good day would be for you, Auriculatus. I too thrive on virgin sites and expend a good amount of effort trying to locate them. While not virgin anymore, I plan to visit a site or two this weekend that apparently I'm the only one foolish enough to frequent......

Grüße,

I see the same big gator every time I hit the spot at the coast I'm hitting this weekend. Got a pic of him on the bank last time. I think he may go 10 feet.

Grüße,

Virgin sites are great especially when I can find a nice piece of palm wood next to where ever MikeD is standing!!!

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"

'Gators, moccasins, and mad cows...poison ivy, stinging nettles, and wicked briars...all part of good hunts. :P

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Guest solius symbiosus
I see the same big gator every time I hit the spot at the coast I'm hitting this weekend. Got a pic of him on the bank last time. I think he may go 10 feet.

I guess ya'll know what you're are doing, but I think that I would run. I don't like reptiles... especially ones that eat people.;)

A good day is when I find enough "keepers" to occupy my mind and stay out of myself.

After I read Brock's post from a few days ago, I decided I need him to teach me some lessons. Finding a new species of trilobite every other time you collect sounds amazing (although he is in Utah, I believe).

A good day is when I find enough "keepers" to occupy my mind and stay out of myself.

After I read Brock's post from a few days ago, I decided I need him to teach me some lessons. Finding a new species of trilobite every other time you collect sounds amazing (although he is in Utah, I believe).

Hey Ordovicios,

I don't think he meant discovering a new species of trilobite every other time. What he meant was finding a species of trilobite that he didn't have in his collection yet, every other time. And i wouldn't doubt he is telling the truth. He is not the kind of guy who would be boasting of his finds or exaggerating the value of what he is finding.

Mike

Virgin sites are great especially when I can find a nice piece of palm wood next to where ever MikeD is standing!!!

Hey! I heard that!

That's OK. Look, you missed a piece of snakewood. :P