Whats Your Largest Favosites Coral?

mikeymig

Hello, This is not the largest Favosites I have found but this one has a strange shape.

When I discovered it last March in Gotland,Sweden I thought it was a new coral for my collection.It is very flat (3cm) and measure 18 cm long.

It's when I returned it that I discovered it was a Favosites.

This Favosites has probably grown horizontally....

By the way, I remark..today..there's a pygidium stuck on it....I think it's one...but no clue about the Id of the Trilobite

A little rugosa sticks too... a Paleocyclus porpitus

D

post-5175-0-13674500-1345714815_thumb.jpg

post-5175-0-46686000-1345714850_thumb.jpg

post-5175-0-53506700-1345715014_thumb.jpg

post-5175-0-26610300-1345715108_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

I finally located the pic of my big favosites, found in the south bluff, Hungry Hollow:

Big Favosites.jpg

Not the best pic, and I had it listed at 16.5"

The dirty half was still in the bluff in the horn coral bed. Cleaned up, I noticed that most of this coral head has been replaced with calcite, and is rather brittle, which may be why pieces of these big ones seem more common that whole corals, at least at Hungry Hollow.

The original pic file is on this page:

http://www.thefossil...arkona__st__120

True, I find more broken or half colonies here in NY then complete specimens. When I posted this topic I found my large corals in a new gully that no one has ever collected in before. Since then I located another site in the woods near a fishing stream that had many large corals at the base of the gully. I need to go back to this site to retrieve the big ones due to the fact that my pack can only handle 65-70 lbs. and it's 2 miles from the road.

Mikey

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

Your spot sounds like Devonian Heaven, Mikey!

Do you know how many different species/ssp. of favosites you have over there?

I just did a run over to Alpena, MI., and there are many subspecies of F. alpenensis. I need to do a little more research and take some pics, but the variety of forms is pretty cool.

I would say around 3 diff. species. Im always after trilobites and this is the first time for me to start a coral collection. I also collect recent seashells/corals and it's cool to compare them with their Devonian fossil counterparts. I'm such a nerd!

Mikey

led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

I don't have any large pieces, but I'm enjoying seeing y'all's and hearing about the hunting grounds, some of those sites must be a dream to collect, never mind the hike! (comes with the territory so to speak)

There is an abundance of coral, here in Northern MI.! Not so many trilobites....

Eric, the grass is always greener.... I'd love to get over to Vancouver/BC some day.

I have an exolith/gastrolith from the early cretaceous that is made from a favosites fossil. Regional unconformities preclude local origin; it likely swam here in the belly of a large marine reptile.

Very cool. Is it possible the Favosites was 'eaten' locally during the Cretaceous, but the Paleozoic formation has since eroded away.

Context is critical.

• 2 weeks later...

I took a couple new shots of my big one (on the left), plus two that were given to me over the summer by a greenhouse customer; he spotted some fossils I had near the register, and told me he had hunted Thedford/Arkona in the past. All are from the Hungry Hollow Fm., Arkona, Ont., south side of the river:

post-9685-0-68357000-1353330478_thumb.jpg

The flip side of mine:

post-9685-0-33479200-1353330523_thumb.jpg

What is the correct term for this part of a coral? Attachment point, growth tip?

Thanks!

Tim

I took a couple new shots of my big one (on the left), plus two that were given to me over the summer by a greenhouse customer; he spotted some fossils I had near the register, and told me he had hunted Thedford/Arkona in the past. All are from the Hungry Hollow Fm., Arkona, Ont., south side of the river:

The flip side of mine:

What is the correct term for this part of a coral? Attachment point, growth tip?

Thanks!

Tim

Nice complete coral colonies! The base has all the growth lines and the honey comb is the top of the colony that was facing the sun. I found a few more recently here in NY and will add the photos soon to this thread.

led zeppelin

The flip side of mine:

Thanks!

Tim

Tim

While that is a really nice and good size coral, I am going to have to better you at least on the size. This one is about 30"X 24". It ss from the Hungry Hollow but not at Arkona. A few years back they were rebuilding the bridge over the AuSable just south of Thedford. Lots of fossils were to be found including this monster. I just could not leave it. With a LOT of help we got it into my truck. When I got home I had to leave it outside as I had no one to help me with it. That is were it has sat all these years. Other than the botanical growth it appears to be still in fine shape. I really need to clean it up an deposit it the the university museum. I suspect that large ones like this (and complete) are hard to come by.

post-391-0-42156400-1353357769_thumb.jpg post-391-0-99815600-1353357792_thumb.jpg

The flip side of mine:

Those are fantastic. I like how they grew right over the horn corals that were scattered on the sea bed.

Context is critical.

• 8 months later...

I will upload pics if requested...I am new to the forum but been collecting a long time. The biggest favosites I have collected is just over 19" around...I mean one side to the other, not diameter and weighs 60lbs. Pretty nice piece.

I will upload pics if requested...I am new to the forum but been collecting a long time. The biggest favosites I have collected is just over 19" around...I mean one side to the other, not diameter and weighs 60lbs. Pretty nice piece.

you mean "not circumference"?

LOL...yeah, that's it. Circumference. Brain was toast last night. Been a heck of a week. Ah well.