Fused Phalanges?

uncoat

I picked this up on a recent collecting trip. I originally thought that in fossilization the bones may have become fused but now im thinking this may have happened before fossilization? I have seen bones that have heeled from a break but never at the joints. I'm guessing its possible, although i dont really know much about it. Any one have any thoughts?

Nick

DSC_0045.jpg

On second thought i suppose this may just be one long Metacarpal that broke and healed in the center.. That would make more sense.

Edited by uncoat

Do you have an idea of what sort of critter it is from?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Ah, through the magic of Google, I see that seals et al have some pretty long phalanges. I seems pathological, and could be a healed break or some other abnormality.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Yeah when i found it i was thinking it was two fused phalanges but it wasn't until right after i posted it that I considered it was one that had broken and healed.

It could be a pinniped metapodial - it's unclear right now as it isn't prepped out yet. This could be a potentially interesting find, since it appears to be pathologic - I take it this is from the Astoria fm.? What are your plans for the specimen?

Bobby

Yes this is from the Astoria fm. Do you think its a significant enough find to be studied? As of now i like it as a display piece but if you think it has some scientific value i would consider other options.

Nick