Diatryma/terror Bird Fossils In The U.s.

FormerShasta

I did an extensive search on the web, but had a hard time finding out info. Does anyone know if there are any Diatryma or Terror Bird fossils/recreations anywhere in the U.S. as of now? I know the California Academy of Science MAY have a stuffed like recreation, but a skeletal recreation would be preferable. My son is currently very interested in this animal. I know the U of Wyoming museum might have one, but they're still closed, and may not open again (although their website says Sept 2012. Thanks in advance for any help and knowledge.

I am not aware of a skeleton mount, original or reproduction, in the US (but there could be one somewhere). Search "gastornis" also, as they are conspecific.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

There's a Titanis walleri skeleton (99% sculpted) on display at the Florida Museum of Natural History, and there used to be a phorusrhacid at the LACM; I'd be surprised if there wasn't something at the AMNH.

I think there definitely might be one at the AMNH. It appears they might have a diatryma. I was looking at the FMNH site, but couldn't determine if their Titanis walleri was up and running yet (we may be there this fall, so that would be ideal) Not sure if there's one in Los Angeles (if I understand that's what LACM is). I think they have scholars that have studied the phorusrhacid, but we've been there quite a bit, and haven't seen one on display.

Anyway, thanks for the tips so far gentlemen.

The American Museum of Natural History once had a mounted skeleton of Diatryma but I don't know if it is currently on display.

One other possibility would be the Natural History of Utah in Salt Lake City. JPC would know if the Tate Museum has one.

I did an extensive search on the web, but had a hard time finding out info. Does anyone know if there are any Diatryma or Terror Bird fossils/recreations anywhere in the U.S. as of now? I know the California Academy of Science MAY have a stuffed like recreation, but a skeletal recreation would be preferable. My son is currently very interested in this animal. I know the U of Wyoming museum might have one, but they're still closed, and may not open again (although their website says Sept 2012. Thanks in advance for any help and knowledge.

Edited by siteseer

I'm pretty sure that there's a phorusrhacid skeleton mount at AMNH. It's in the saurischian dinosaur hall.

The gastornis tip helped a lot. They seem to have one at the Museum of Ancient Life in Lehi, UT, just south of Salt Lake City (which coincidentally, we'll be visiting in July). Looks like they have something similar in Washington DC as well. I finally found a picture of the Titanis Walleri in Florida. It looks impressive as well. So far it looks like SLC, New York, DC, and Florida are our best chances. Thanks again.

Western Washington University has tracks on display: LINK

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

The Titanis walleri mount is up at the FLMNH and has been on display for a couple of years...as well as a claw and part of a bone in a case in front of the mount.

youtube-logo-png-46031.png

In case you're interested, there was a thread about Titanis last year:

http://www.thefossil...ge__hl__titanis

Also, I've seen a decent variety of Willwood Formation fossils (Early Eocene vertebrates) at shows and friends' collections but haven't seen one Diatryma bone. From that I assume that even isolated bones are uncommon.

Edited by siteseer