Mosasaur vert, but what kind?

LanceH

Well I know it's a mosasaur vertebra but have yet to get a conclusive ID. So far I've heard Halisaurus and Plio-Platycarpus. Everhart says it's a cervical vert, fairly close to the skull. I found this one near Ben Franklin, Texas.

09-20-2008-004-300.jpg

09-20-2008-005-300.jpg

09-20-2008-007-300.jpg

09-20-2008-008-300.jpg

There really needs to be a webpage that shows the discernable differences between all the Mosasaurine verts and how to identify each one. While some people have access to whole skeletons in the field and the lab... the average fossil enthusiast mostly finds isolated verts. Does anyone know of some good reference material that would be helpful?

There really needs to be a webpage that shows the discernable differences between all the Mosasaurine verts and how to identify each one. While some people have access to whole skeletons in the field and the lab... the average fossil enthusiast mostly finds isolated verts. Does anyone know of some good reference material that would be helpful?

Lance, you've hit on one of my wish list items. I've mentioned to Everhart and others that Mosasaur vertebrae seem to be the "forgotten" bones in the published material. There seem to be some experts out there that can ID many verts on sight. As you know, that doesn't help us. Let me know if you find anything.

Like Mike said, it is a cervical vertebra. As to the type of mosasaur, I don't know. It has some similarities to a partial Plioplatecarpus I found in 2006, but I don't have enough of the cervicals to make a comparison.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Nice mosasaur vert Lance, better than the few I've found.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Hi Lance, I don't think it's Halisaurus, but I base that on the specimens I have collected from the Late Campanian of Mississippi - I have a few Halisaurus verts positvely ID'd as such by E. Manning and M. Everhart, but I am not a Mo expert and probably have much less Mo material than you do.

I do agree that it would be cool to have a reference that helps with the ID of Mo verts...

Don't know what kind it is , but a nice one nun the less , did you look around real good chances are there were more .

Yeah , a guide would be nice , found some older papers on Mosasaurs with drawings but nothing that good .

We have several of those darn things , and would be nice to know about them .

Say isn't that where they found fish skulls at , Ben Franklin ? Always smells fishy to me when we go there .:-)

Hunting fossils is fun , but discovering is better !