Washington State Rules?

JGS

We are going on vacation to Washington mostly around Seattle but also other areas the last week in June. I am trying to find rock hounding laws for the state but am finding nothing. Does anyone know where I can find something or if you have general guidelines for me? Like if I can pick up vertebrates or non vertebrates or dead starfish ect? Any ideas of where to go also would be nice, I do not need your secret spots of course but if you know any general areas where most people go at least. Even guided and pay spots are appreciated. Anyone want to be our guide? Thanks, Jenny

Jenny...

Not ever having looked for fossils in Washington, I can't really give you any information on localities.

Some general information about locations and some information about where you can LEGALLY collect fossils in WA may be found at the following sites:

Washington State Department of Natural Resources

Fossilseeker.com

The Paleontology Portal

Stonerose Interpretive Center

Fossilsites.com has a list of locations (current as of 2008) for Washington state

The Burke Museum has some interesting information on its FAQ web page

Tripadvisor has a thread from back in 2007 that might have some useful information buried in it

Here's a link to a little booklet titled Fossils In Washington (published in 1959) that might give you a few ideas.

Chances are you've already found most or all of this stuff but I thought I'd toss it out there just in case.

Good Luck!

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

We are going on vacation to Washington mostly around Seattle but also other areas the last week in June. I am trying to find rock hounding laws for the state but am finding nothing. Does anyone know where I can find something or if you have general guidelines for me? Like if I can pick up vertebrates or non vertebrates or dead starfish ect? Any ideas of where to go also would be nice, I do not need your secret spots of course but if you know any general areas where most people go at least. Even guided and pay spots are appreciated. Anyone want to be our guide? Thanks, Jenny

Were are u coming from? There are a few but from experience u may have to drive a couple hours!

We are coming from Wyoming and will spend a week in Seattle. Then we will spend another 3 or 4 days in Forks. We do not mind driving, living in Wyoming we are used to driving anytime we want to go anywhere lol. I would love to find some of those crab balls. But any type of fossil or even just cool rocks are good. Thanks again for your guys help.