Trent River/ River Bend Fm.

Multicusp

I have spent many years hunting and collecting aurics and angys in both Florida and South Carolina. I had a discussion one day with David Ward regarding the morphology of what he considers to be an auriculatus tooth. In his opinion there must be true separation of the cusps from the blade..otherwise it's angustiden or another species. He also noted that the serrations on an auric tooth tend to start out larger near the root and decrease in size as they descend towards the tip.

Hello Primitive Past! I actually got my fossil bug in Ft. Myers, FL. when I-75 was under construction in the 70's. Anyway, I agree with most of the traits that have been noted in this thread for Ric vs. Angy. but if you were to study the geological strata in this region, Onlsow County. NC. you would find Castle Hayne formation all the way into SC. The U.S.G.S. and some of the local hydrogeologists have all found that it is late Eocene material at approx. 42 MYA. Obviously the overburden contains the reworked Epochs, but pristine Auriculatus is the Onslow brand to hunt for.

Hi Multicusp, I also hunted the construction of I-75 in the 70's as it was installed through Sarasota County. We found many megalodon and colorful mako teeth as the County dug borrow pits to elevate the new interstate. That's awesome you were able to hunt the Ft. Myers stretch. Was it productive? I am familiar with the Castle Hayne formation and its range. My point in my previous post is that many collectors including myself have misidentified angustiden teeth for auriculatus based on the age of proximate Eocene deposits. I see this problem consistently in North Florida's Suwannee River where true auric teeth are found in the same rubble piles as obvious angustiden. Rather than noting the difference in species, most North Florida divers tend to ID all Suwannee River Carcharocles teeth as Auriculatus.

I was young at the time the highway was being developed and didn't know what to look for, but I recall some 2" plus Great White, Mako, and Tiger from the gravel that was spread along the roadway. I hunted a borrow pit across from my childhood home, still never found a Meg and probably disregarded them as large black & grey triangle shaped rocks, not being familiar with sharks teeth at that time. If you look at the 2 teeth in question from here, the only feature that has me bending toward Ric on the smaller tooth is a ragged cusp, but I have always thought that these sharks did not just wake up one day and "Shazam!' I am now an Angustidens. This was a long term slow transition coming out of Eocene and Auriculatus still existing into Oligocene. So Iwill conclude with ....Wow! I have now found my first Angustiden tooth and some kind of morphing Auriculatus.

I had to add this Auriculatus to show that cusps incorporated into the blade is just a normal thing I guess. This should not be mistaken for an Angustidens.

A-1, or 2 lower jaw position. This tooth should be introduced as "The BC RICH WARLOCK."

• 5 months later...

Is there a diagram or a photo that someone has created to show the location of teeth in an Angustidens?

Is there a diagram or a photo that someone has created to show the location of teeth in an Angustidens?

Len, The angys In the riverbend form. are elusive. But all the other teeth in their are a pretty gun metal blue. PM and i can point you in the right direction.

one day i will find a tooth over 3 inches in good conditon haha.

What I am looking for is a diagram that shows upper, lower, front and back orientation for the Angustidens. Have looked on line and have been unsuccessful so far.