How To Determine Age/era

camlov2

• New Members

If I was on "Are you smarter than a 5th grader?" and the question was about era/fossils/rock formations, I would get it wrong.

Now that we are clear about where I am at I am interested in learning about these topics.

I am taking my 8 year old son out hunting for rocks and fossils and would like to be able to give him information if we find anything (Northern California). What threads/links/books would you recommend to help me learn about these topics?

Also any suggestions of areas to look in would be greatly appreciated.

Local rockhounding and fossil clubs would be a good place to start.

Context is critical.

I would agree with what Missourian suggests. ;)

Also this website, although it has old information, is a good starting point for your research.

Google the formation names in the counties near you, and look for and read any PDF that references them.

Regards,

PS - Welcome to the Forum, and good luck! :)

Edited by Fossildude19

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Depending on where you are in northern California, it might be worth the drive to Menlo Park to visit one of the three USGS offices in the US. It is actually a complex of several buildings. There is building that houses the map sales room and the library is just a couple of buildings away.

http://www.usgs.gov/

If I was on "Are you smarter than a 5th grader?" and the question was about era/fossils/rock formations, I would get it wrong.

Now that we are clear about where I am at I am interested in learning about these topics.

I am taking my 8 year old son out hunting for rocks and fossils and would like to be able to give him information if we find anything (Northern California). What threads/links/books would you recommend to help me learn about these topics?

Also any suggestions of areas to look in would be greatly appreciated.

When I was running nature tours, I found the "Roadside Geology" series to be excellent.

There is one for Northern and Central California: LINK

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!