Finds we made yesterday

NSRaddict_1

Here is some things we ran across yesterday in a field :

dsc_0034.jpg

dsc_0030.jpg

The Nautiloids are pyrite replacement .

Hunting fossils is fun , but discovering is better !

Great finds the, top picture middle fossil... does that have barnacle fossils on it?

Yes , I believe it does .

Nice finds, man you got good eye sight to find the small ones. Add the pennies to the next trip fund, that is what I do with my change but for some reason it never grows fast enough!

Nice hunt,

Are you sure that these are nautilods?. Them resemble me more to ammonoids protoconch.

Should them be treated to prevent marcasite/ pyrite degradation?

Greetings

Looks like some wave reworked Macraster and Holaster echinoids in addition to some pyritized micromorphic ammonites, all from the Duck Creek formation I would guess. If I were a betting man I'd put my money on one particular shoreline where all of this was found, but I won't out your site!

The Washita Group of North Texas presents several other cool pyritized micromorph zones each of which seems to present slight variations in fauna and preservation. Duck Creek, Pawpaw, and Del Rio/Grayson formations present some of these zones that I've visited personally.

For those interested in epifaunal growths, yes certain echinoids frequently have encrusting worm tubes and oysters in several Texas Cretaceous formations. Macraster echinoids in particular seem to be found covered in worm tubes more so than other echies I've found.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Nice finds, man you got good eye sight to find the small ones. Add the pennies to the next trip fund, that is what I do with my change but for some reason it never grows fast enough!

Yeah , they are small but they stand out in the matrix .

With the price of gas it is hard to save enough as fast as the price goes up .

Looks like some wave reworked Macraster and Holaster echinoids in addition to some pyritized micromorphic ammonites, all from the Duck Creek formation I would guess. If I were a betting man I'd put my money on one particular shoreline where all of this was found, but I won't out your site!

The Washita Group of North Texas presents several other cool pyritized micromorph zones each of which seems to present slight variations in fauna and preservation. Duck Creek, Pawpaw, and Del Rio/Grayson formations present some of these zones that I've visited personally.

For those interested in epifaunal growths, yes certain echinoids frequently have encrusting worm tubes and oysters in several Texas Cretaceous formations. Macraster echinoids in particular seem to be found covered in worm tubes more so than other echies I've found.

Yes , Duck Creek .

Had never heard of oyster spats, so looked it up.

Also saw some pics of barnacles (had no idea how many).

Looks like barnacles also.

Welcome to the forum!

Are they barnacles, or oyster spats? I always find those things interesting, because I guess it means the "lucky" urchin died, maybe of natural causes, just before his terrified brethren got massacred en masse. Cowboys may want to die with their boots on, but I say, "Go out wearing your spats."

Auspex - feel free to translate the above for those who can't fathom my linguistic lunacy...

Glad to have you back on-line!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

These are from the same area , just later find date .

Look at the teeth :

dsc_0037.jpg

Barnacle scars, oyster attachment scars or other? Umm. I went out to the barn and looked at some of my Macraster obesus and M. elegans. They all have a goodly share of worm tubes and scaring(?) on their surface. I question marked the "scaring" because it looks more like an attachment of one valve of a thin shelled clam such as an Anomiacea type clam.

JKFoam

The Eocene is my favorite

Nice ammonites, NSR. I'd love to see some individual close ups.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ