Found These On A Cliff In Az. Need Id

ohs

• New Members

Hi, Im new around here *waves*

I live in Arizona, heres some pics of a couple things Im curious about, I found them on a cliff/mountain at about 6000 ft. The bigger piece has quite a few brachiopods, but the thing circled in red I am not sure what it is. The other item is yellow and looks like it has little pours all over.

3ribbs.jpg

yellow1.jpg

yellow2.jpg

Hi, Im new around here *waves*

I live in Arizona, heres some pics of a couple things Im curious about, I found them on a cliff/mountain at about 6000 ft. The bigger piece has quite a few brachiopods, but the thing circled in red I am not sure what it is. The other item is yellow and looks like it has little pours all over.

Welcome to the forum!

The matrix fossil is the pygidium (tail shield) of a trilobite. The yellow item is either petrified palm wood or is the skeleton of a colonial animal, probably a bryozoan. Some magnification might help you decide between the two. (I think colonial animal is the best guess if the pores are actually open.)

------Harry Pristis

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

• New Members

awesome, thanks for the help. Took a look at the yellow fossil again and the pores on the bottom seem to be open, but not on top.

awesome, thanks for the help. Took a look at the yellow fossil again and the pores on the bottom seem to be open, but not on top.

Well, "top" is where they should be open if it were a colonial animal. Petrified palm wood becomes the best guess.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

without knowing the age i am going to try a guess at the type of trilobite. it could be related to the phillipsidae. which was one of the last surviving families.

just a guess that might help you to identify it completely