2 Dudes, 2 Trips

Uncle Siphuncle

post-22-1222312873_thumb.jpgpost-22-1222312897_thumb.jpgJohn Jackson and I hooked up last Sat for another mixed bag collecting trip. John kicked things off with a nice ammonite while I grabbed a giant clam from the Austin Chalk of Texas. We then perused an exposure of Taylor marl, formation undetermined, and snagged 3 nautiloids. Somewhere along the way I picked up a deer tooth and a horse tooth. Later we found ourselves on an Indian campsite where John scratched out 2 killer points, a Pedernales and a Morhiss, while I pulled the front half of a big needle tip knife and a couple preforms.

On Sun I made a solo run to Corpus and had 3 eatin' fish on the stringer by 10, a small mangrove snap, a black drum, and a red. I let about 3 times that many fish go, one unfortunately being a big flounder right next to the kayak that I was too slow to net. Switching gears I took the yak to a small Pleistocene exposure I call "glyptodont gulch" where true to its name, it gave me 2 more glyptodont osteoderms. No complaints at this end. Maybe someday I'll get more serious about life!

post-22-1222312931_thumb.jpg

post-22-1222312966_thumb.jpg

post-22-1222312990_thumb.jpg

post-22-1222313012_thumb.jpg

post-22-1222313039_thumb.jpg

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Wow, you guys have all the luck! Next time I'm in Texas please take me with you :D

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

... John kicked things off with a nice ammonite while I grabbed a giant clam from the Austin Chalk of Texas....

The ammonite is 8" in diameter. Still working on an ID.

... Later we found ourselves on an Indian campsite where John scratched out 2 killer points, a Pedernales and a Morhiss, while I pulled the front half of a big needle tip knife and a couple preforms....

Scratched is right. Between the briars and the fire ants we brushed away a 1/4" of silt to reveal these non in-situ beauties. I thought about leaving them, since we were looking for fossils... :P ...but I didn't want the cows to get hurt. I found the far left Pedernales in the penny pic in the same area 11 years ago.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

In your case, luck is the smallest ingredient to your successes!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!