Felt a little crabby this morning.

Metopocetus

Boy, that takes me back. I used to enjoy finding those crab "nodules" more than finding Megs ^_^

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

And this one is in soft matrix, I might be able to prep it out a little more than the bay did for me :).

Work on it before it completely dries out. (Guess how I know this?)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Really great find. I hope you can prep and preserve it properly.

I thought about going out today, but when I got up at 4:30 to get ready, I was seeing lightning and hearing thunder. Since it's at least an hour plus ride to the beach, I decided wisdom was the better part of valor. One thing I just won't do is go out by or on the water when lightning is a good possiblility.

Carpe Diem, Carpe Somnium

Guest bmorefossil

I thought about going out today, but when I got up at 4:30 to get ready, I was seeing lightning and hearing thunder. Since it's at least an hour plus ride to the beach, I decided wisdom was the better part of valor. One thing I just won't do is go out by or on the water when lightning is a good possiblility.

well when i got up this morning it looked like a flood!!! there was 3 or 4 inches of water around our house......lucky we live on a hill lol, but the water did eat the ground around the house which i have never seen before

So very true, I haven't always thought things through like that. I was at Brownies Beach during the summer and a storm rolled in with lightning. Some of the lightning was striking not more than 100 feet from me and my friend. It made me jump a few times when I didn't see it coming.

Guest bmorefossil
So very true, I haven't always thought things through like that. I was at Brownies Beach during the summer and a storm rolled in with lightning. Some of the lightning was striking not more than 100 feet from me and my friend. It made me jump a few times when I didn't see it coming.

so thats how you get them teeth that look like a bolt of lightning hit them lol

Part 2.

So I didn't find that 6" meg but I did find the other half of a tooth that I found 2 weeks ago. That is always cool. 2 Nice croc teeth and a partial spider crab claw. I even got a lump of coal and it isn't even Christmas...I think it is coal anyway.

post-680-1222603348_thumb.jpg

Finding the other half is neat; "Part 2" indeed!

Hello Atropi, nice little crab ya got there. Do you or do you know of anyone who finds complete ones? I would like to get my hands on one of those!

As for lightning, I had always heard about lighting comeing out of nowhere but just thought that the poeple telling those stories just imagined it or something, but living here in 'Big Sky County' I have now seen lightning bolts come out of blue sky twice!!!! Just unbelievable!!!

RB

By the time we find them, they've usually been rolled-around a bit. A fresh fall is the only hope of finding one that's not too rough, since digging in the cliffs is dangerous and forbidden.

Hello Atropi, nice little crab ya got there. Do you or do you know of anyone who finds complete ones? I would like to get my hands on one of those!

As for lightning, I had always heard about lighting comeing out of nowhere but just thought that the poeple telling those stories just imagined it or something, but living here in 'Big Sky County' I have now seen lightning bolts come out of blue sky twice!!!! Just unbelievable!!!

RB

We have a spider crab at the museum that is nearly complete. It is big though, looks like a modern Alaskan King Crab. Prep on it is very slow going because it is in soft matrix and tries to fall apart if you look at it wrong.

So they are out there, and they have probably been found by others. Just need a lot of luck and perseverance.