City-Slicker Question :)

grokfish

Ok folks, trying not to be a helicopter parent here, but as I am getting ready to do some fossiling in OK and TX, I find myself slightly paranoid about the critter populations. I mean, I've been outdoorsy here in KS & MO my whole life, and never seen a venomous snake in the wild. So I guess my question is, is there anything other parents do when taking their kids fossil hunting in rattler country? My two boys are 5&7, and are very keen about knowing how to ID snakes, and knowing not to go after them.

Any advice?

Thanks,

Grok

you walk first with a stick in snakey areas, they follow close behind

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

If the head is some what triangular, it's almost definitely poisonous, don't try to kill it (unless you have a long sharp garden hoe and remember EVEN WHEN IT'S DEAD, THE HEAD CAN STILL BITE) but just back away slowly. If the snake is near the water, avoid it at all costs, it is probably a water moccasin, they especially like calm water and have been known to chase people that get too close to it. It is also poisonous. If it isn't either of those, I would still stay away from them. But in all honesty, I grew up in Fort Worth, TX, and the only time I ever saw dangerous snakes were on very rare occasions and they were water moccasins. Also, I've been living in Tulsa, OK for about 8 years now, and still, all I've ever seen while hunting fossils were a couple water moccasins swimming in the near-by river. So, in summary snakes aren't a huge issue.

What you probably should worry about is ticks, chiggers, mosquitoes and possibly some scorpions. But bug spray on your skin and your clothes ( even if if you are wearing jeans, spray your legs and the pant legs) as well as some common sense (kick a rock slightly before picking it up in dry areas to make sure there aren't any scorpions) should keep you safe.

It should also be noted that depending on what part of Texas you are going to, there will be different dangers. West Texas has centipedes, millipedes, scorpions, rattlers and rodents. East, North and South usually just has water moccasins and some rodents.

If you keep the kids near by you shouldn't have to worry too much.

leave the snakes alone, they eat the rodents that harbor the lyme disease that will more likely injure your kids. (one of mine just got diagnosed with it :( ) I like the idea of using a long stick to explore ahead of you/ under rocks/ etc. FYI

I would agree that Lyme disease, spotted fever and other things you get from bugs are the bigger risk. Been living in Texas now for 7 years and visiting since the late 80's and have yet to see a rattler. A few moccasins but they were always moving away or just ignoring me. Dan's got the right idea to use a walking stick out front if your in the weeds or in extra rubbly terrain. And as Scylla said "LEAVE THE SNAKES ALONE"

More than anything these days it's ants*, wasps and scorpions that I encounter. Just gotta watch where you step or put your hands. Make sure the kids know to turn rocks with their rock picks (best reason to get them their own) and never reach up onto a ledge they can not see.

* Fire ants are aggressive and the stings burn, linger and itch but there are some other tiny ones that get real mean and bite the heck out of you as well.

Use one of these.

http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?search_query=Outdoor%20Hiking%20Poles&adid=22222222220018969448&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=b&wl1=g&wl2=&wl3=15218772698&wl4=

I picked on up at Walmart for $10. Not only is it good to move ahead of you in wooded areas or other areas you feel there could be venomous snake but they come in real handy in keeping you from falling over in rougher terrain.

Mine kept me from falling many times so far, and the very first day I bought it it kept both me and my son from taking a painful plung into a creek due to slippery rocks. He was holding my hand to help sturdy himself (we were on alge covered rocks) and he lost footing. I held him up but thanks to the stick did not fall myself. It has helped keep me from falling countless times. Very much worth $10.

I live in southeast Missouri, around here we have a lot of copperheads and timber rattle snakes. I used to see tons of them dead on the roads as a kid near our house. Funny thing is all those years I ran through the woods I never saw but one near our pond alive. Of course being a stupid kid I killed it. Today I would let leave it be.

Robert
Southeast, MO

i give snakes their space. but once i was attacked by some kind of bees, perhaps africanized. they were pretty aggressive. my kid and i dropped the boat and ran. then he suited me up for battle so i could retrieve our gear...hat, shades, life jacket, canoe paddle, can of starting fluid.

they stirred again as i went for the gear... when i wasnt batting them full swing with the paddle i was spraying them with ether, a good repellent as it turns out.

in the end i got stung once, took out a bunch of bees, got our stuff, and my son, about 7 or 8 at the time, got a ringside seat, and at times we still bring up that ludicrous encounter...

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Thanks everyone! I've been put at ease for the time being :)

I like the idea of the 'snake stick' and scoping the area out first. Getting the kids a rock hammer and having them turn the rocks over with it is also very good advice...that was my biggest fear is turning something over and being real vulnerable to whatever is underneath.

Regarding bugs, chiggers, and ticks...we got those here, so that advice is very well heeded!!! I don't know what to think of scorpions :P

Thank you again, everyone! Safety first!

Grok

Some of the best eating that I ever had were those "strings" of meat from a rattler. Best of luck. If you find one, I suggest chili.

Nah, strike that. Grilled with a grape sauce. Yep, that is what you want.

Edited by thanatocoenosis

2012 NCAA Collegiate Round Ball Champs; and in '98, '96, '78, 58, '51, '49, and '48, too.

Some of the best eating that I ever had was those "strings" of meat from a rattler. Best of luck. If you find one, I suggest chili.

I will make sure my wife never sees this comment :)

Also, my oldest loves reptiles, so if I did kill one, I don't think he'd ever talk to me again.

Though, I personally wouldn't be opposed to trying rattler chili!

Rattler Chili. Beans or no beans? That question down here could cause more consternation than any of those various critters we were discussing.

Scorpions will be under rocks and as long as you aren't turning them by hand you will have no problem. Like all other bugs they will scurry away long before they get defensive. The stings, I've been told, are like a bee. Personally I find them really interesting and when I catch one in the house it usually end up in a jar for a day or two for observation before being tossed back out.

Grokfish,

Of more concern this time of year than the "critters" will be hydration. Make sure everyone's drinking plenty of water.

Being from KC, it looks like you're having plenty of experience with hot wx this summer.

During this time of year, I don't see much in the way of "critters" during the day, unless I'm somewhere near water (walking a creek bed, along a lake shore, etc.) The critters are most active early in the morning while it's cooler. Once it starts warming up during the day, they find a cool place to hide. I guess they're smarter than I am. :wacko:

SWard
Southeast Missouri

(formerly Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX)

USA