A Few Recent Finds

Terry Dactyll

I finally managed to get back online yesterday so hello to everyone old and new (membership wise) and I hope you have been finding some superb fossils in my absence... I still am too busy to prep at the moment and have not set up my workshop but I picked up some pretty nice bits and pieces off the Somerset Coast during my limited excursions... certainly new material to have a go at in the near future along with some very nice Lyme Regis specimens as well that I am looking forward to tackling...

Here is what looks like will be the best Metophioceras I have found on this coast in a big nodule... Its looking very 3D and promising so fingers crossed for this one... Obviously a lot of work to go before I can prove its in there...

post-1630-0-17248500-1341432844_thumb.jpg post-1630-0-37212400-1341432879_thumb.jpg

Another smaller Metophioceras...

post-1630-0-62680400-1341432975_thumb.jpg

Some very promising large 3D calcite nautilus...

post-1630-0-89914000-1341432997_thumb.jpg

Catch up Soon...

• I found this Informative 1

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Glad you had a chance to come up for air! :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Wonderful, I can't wait to see them prepared. I have missed viewing your specimens.

Splendid! This is just the update that I have been waiting for. Excellent specimens; with lots of potential - I cannot wait to see you work your magic. It's great to have you back on the Forum, Steve.

Joe

Kind regards,

Joe

That first photo looks.................huge. :o

Wow, I cannot wait to see that thing free from it's matrix prison.

Robert
Southeast, MO

Steve,

Nice to see you back on the Forum!

Looks like some nice finds there - will wait patiently to see them prepped!

Welcome back!

Warm Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Hello Steve,

great finds, but also a lot of work to do, but I know that you are a patient worker. Good luck! Hopefully the inner whirls of all your finds are preserved.

Best wishes

Soenke

http://www.Der-Steinkern.de - the german fossil magazine.

Welcome back, Steve. :)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Nice to have you back again, Steve. Looks like you've got your work cut out for you again! How do you lug these giants back up from the beach? Do you take a block and tackle with you??

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Beautiful finds. Hopefully they're all complete. I'll be watching for updates as you progress. It would be nice if you posted some photos of the work in progress so we can "see" along with you.

By the way...beautiful back yard, too.

SWard
Southeast Missouri

(formerly Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX)

USA

Cheers Guys...I'm looking forward to prepping again myself shortly... as the dark nights roll in I have a little cozy workshop to work from... All I need now is a compressor and some time to finish the workshop...I will post some images as I progress... I recently purchased a heavy duty air chisel from Ken Mannion which should make working the hard limestone a little easier giving me much more freedom and design scope with the matrix... I will post some details of this tool in the fossil prep thread once I get going with it...

Roger... I think the answer to your question is ' will-power ' :)

Steve,

I am glad hearing from you again and a hearty welcome back home,,, :hearty-laugh:

I am sure that you are going to bring perfect things in the day light, hard (literally) prep job is back though...

But take it easy... We can wait for this. The more important is you are here again ;):)

Astrinos P. Damianakis

Astron...Very nice to see you too :D ... No doubt you have found many more fabulous fossils... I will try and catch up on your thread soon...

Soenke... I noticed you had an interest in the Arnioceras... Here's a new one recently found from Pinhey Bay around the corner from Lyme Regis half a mile or so... Its the 2nd from the right at the front of Arnioceras corner...

post-1630-0-19588600-1341597859_thumb.jpg post-1630-0-37718400-1341597877_thumb.jpg

Edited by Terry Dactyll

Roger... I think the answer to your question is ' will-power ' :)

and a strong back, I'm sure!

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Hi Steve,

thanks for showing the new Arnioceras - nice color and preservation. What I´ve seen at Black Ven myself looked like if it is not possible to prep the ammonites. Nearly no interstice between the ammonite and the rock. But the exception proves the rule. Your find is the exception - good work again!

Soenke

http://www.Der-Steinkern.de - the german fossil magazine.

Welcome back Steve! Glad to see you have been busy. :D

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Dave... Great to see your still here and posting...Thanks...

Soenke...The latest small Arnioceras was found 1 mile west of Lyme Regis all the way down Monmouth beach and around the headland half a mile or so... It 'popped' open very easily when tapped with a hammer, lucky strike... although Arnioceras do occur on Monmouth beach aswell like the small triple in the left hand corner of the photo above was from there with different preservation...

The Black Ven Arnioceras...sometimes pop open losing the outer layer of shell leaving a calcite cast, rather like all Asteroceras do or can be very sticky as you say...

Here's a couple of more bits I found recently...

Another Somerset coast nautilus I found this week...The outer whorl is shot but the calcite is good so potentially a really nice middle...

post-1630-0-56177100-1341654053_thumb.jpg

Some Lyme Regis material...An absoloute belter of a Metophioceras ' filling ' a nice lenticular shaped rock...

post-1630-0-21966400-1341654069_thumb.jpg

Whats hopefully going to be a cracking sculptural 'double' when prepped...These usually come out really well...

post-1630-0-46377900-1341654098_thumb.jpg post-1630-0-34091100-1341654118_thumb.jpg

I also found a couple of impressive Coroniceras on decent chunks of matrix...But to be honest I have probably found 2 years prep already... I best stay off the beaches for a while :wacko:

Edited by Terry Dactyll

Hi Steve, good to see you posting again! I've not been around much in awhile myself but am trying to find the time. Looks like you have all kinds of goodies to work on--very nice. All the best! Regards, Chris

Hi Chris... Thanks... Great to see you to...