Sites In Virginia, Md, Sc, Nc, & Georgia For Sharks Teeth

S233

Hello everyone, I would like to talk about sites in these states for fossil sharks teeth hunting. Here is a list of sites I already know

-Brownies beach MD

-Calvert Cliffs MD

-Flags Pond MD

-Aurora Fossil Museum NC

-GreenMillRun NC

-Summerville SC

-Charleston SC

-Rocky Point NC

-Castle Hayne NC

Any help with other sites would be great! :)

Edited by Survivor

: )

i don;t know if he knows specific locations or generally knows like the summerville location. a lot of people have heard of summerville shark teeth but don;t know where to look. if he listed them to give people help this info will only go a short way.

i'm familiar with just about all those sites. brownies beach and calvert cliffs are well known sites but current access is an issue. aurora fossil museum has a pit outside a few feet deep where people can sit for free on the ground and sift through the spoil they bring over from the aurora mine. fun for kids and adults look also. many small common teeth could be found with the occasional nicer tooth. green mill run is a good cretaceous site for shark teeth and the occasional indian point in greenville,nc about 45 minutes west of the aurora museum and pit. a trip to green mill and the aurora pit in the same day is a good option

summerville,sc is a bit vague of course and that doesn't surprise me. i bet you don't know where he's talking about since i don't even know where he looked either and i lived and searched there. saying "summerville" won't help anyone know where to look. same thing with "charleston" too vague.

rocky point and castle hayne as far as i know are both quarries. in north carolina a few of the quarries will give individuals permission to look in non working areas of the quarries if you call ahead and they aren't blasting that day.most states no longer let individuals search quarries including south carolina due to liability worries. if i wasn't 7 hours away i'd be searching those quarries.

Today's the day!

Mel Fisher

Hello fossiljunkie. For Summerville I have a site written down that is behind a taco bell or something. In Summerville there is also a $500 fine for anyone using equipment in the streams. I just recently went to Aurora & GMR and they were pretty nice. I did not know you can not go to SC quarries, but i know to call the other quarries before you go there. I do not know a lot about Calvert Cliffs & Brownies Beach, since I have only been there once. As for Charleston there is a ramp on the highway where you can look. That is really all I know since I have not been to Belgrade, Rocky Point, or Castle Hayne quarries.

Anyway, thanks for the info! ^_^

Edited by Survivor

: )

in summerville you could go to sawmill branch canal, goose creek, and eagles creek. also look at fossilguy.com for info on the sites you listed in gives you multiple access points and tips

one day i will find a tooth over 3 inches in good conditon haha.

I like the quote from Shakespeare" first kill all the lawyers", Our litigenous society has about ruined it for collecting in quarries. Most in my area are closed to collectors. But in defense of the quarries, what's in it for them? A little PR and a hassle keeping people safe and babysitting.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

I like the quote from Shakespeare" first kill all the lawyers", Our litigenous society has about ruined it for collecting in quarries. Most in my area are closed to collectors. But in defense of the quarries, what's in it for them? A little PR and a hassle keeping people safe and babysitting.

i agree, maybe they should re open and charge a small admission fee and make you sign even more liability forms!

one day i will find a tooth over 3 inches in good conditon haha.