Dinosaur Egg?

timmywc

• New Members

I want to know whether this fossil is a dinosaur egg. If so, what kind of dinosaur egg is it? Please let me know.

post-9117-0-45557400-1343501501_thumb.jpg

post-9117-0-99064600-1343501514_thumb.jpg

post-9117-0-40875900-1343501541_thumb.jpg

post-9117-0-12965500-1343501552_thumb.jpg

The first and last pictures show fine striations, a feature which I have never seen on a dinosaur egg. There are also some irregularities in form; it is somewhat "lumpy"...this too is unlike any egg I have ever seen. Based on these visible features, I am dubious about it being an egg of any kind.

• I found this Informative 1

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Thank you for posting this interesting object. From the pictures it does not appear to have the characteristics of either of the two distinct types of eggs from China, that I have prepped. Is it heavy, that is, does it feel as weighty as you would expect from a rock that size? It reminds me of some geodes I have seen.

• I found this Informative 1

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

I agree. This looks like a concretion. Don't be discouraged though. It may be worthwhile to crack it open with a hammer to see the other layers. :)

Maybe it is a dinosaur kidney stone.

Forgive me, it has been a long day. :blink:

My husband found something that looks exactly like that just today. He too, hasn't opened it yet. I found one a couple of years ago and it turned out to be a concretion, so mine turned out to be sedimentary rock inside that looks like sandstone.

I hope yours is much better!! :thumbsu:

Edited by Roadrunner

I just took this now as the sun was setting. Your pictures are incomparably better.

The open one is the one I found and broke open. The other one is the one my husband found today,.

I hope his and yours are beautiful inside!!

Thumbnail;

th_a9ef2a87.jpg

Edited by Roadrunner