Somerset Coast Coroniceras

Terry Dactyll

Thanks for the interest guys....

Roger.... Your going to be putting some weight on !....

Kevin.... Will do, I havent prepped the keel properly yet.... Its usually the first thing I expose.... This ones slightly crushed I would say so if your looking for a definitive Paracoroniceras charlsei keel shot I have plenty of examples from Lyme I could get you a good photo of....Let me know your requirements....

Icordova.... I'm not sure what you would learn lol....

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Roger.... Your going to be putting some weight on !....

I dunno why, but I figured you'd say something like that :P

Edited by Ludwigia

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Kevin.... Will do, I havent prepped the keel properly yet.... Its usually the first thing I expose.... This ones slightly crushed I would say so if your looking for a definitive Paracoroniceras charlsei keel shot I have plenty of examples from Lyme I could get you a good photo of....Let me know your requirements....

It was yust to get an idea of how the keel looks, I m not realy at home with ammonites of those deposits, so any extra info is welcome.

Edited by Kevin H.

growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Congratulations. So far an amazing specimen. Can't wait to see the end results, but do take your time. Superior job.

Kevin.... Will do...

Jeffery.... Thanks... I must be close to 30, hours now...

Storm Dancer... Thanks... Its made my collecting year, its great to get a decent specimen of an unusual one....

I decided to do some work getting the weight off the rock.... The simplest way is cubing the matrix with a rock saw over the area you want to take off then simply knock the pillars of rock off with a hammer and chisel,,, You could grind it smooth but I generally leave the tool marks on the back....

post-1630-0-16816200-1455861017_thumb.jpg

post-1630-0-10063800-1455861047_thumb.jpg

Finished by taking the sharp bits down with an air chisel....

post-1630-0-32201900-1455861176_thumb.jpg

Edited by Terry Dactyll

Thanks Jim..... I think I'm approaching well into the 30 hours plus now but its beginning to look like something... I love the Chocolate colour of the calcite... I still got plenty work to do on this one yet around the keel area and here and there so I should hopefully finish this in a week or so doing an hour here and there...

post-1630-0-73215600-1456067266_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Heres some images of Paracoroniceras charlsei keels for Kevin....

post-1630-0-08371300-1456434683_thumb.jpg

post-1630-0-94120200-1456434710_thumb.jpg

The section of keel that is preserved on the Somerset shell... very often these big shells are only preserved upto the center line which was protected and buried in the ocean floor sediments... Often the back is crushed or not preserved....

post-1630-0-07169700-1456434731_thumb.jpg

The shell jusr needs the finsh to be applied... I have worked further into the mouth and tided up the edges... I will apply a coat of clear marble floor wax over the weekend...

post-1630-0-94901100-1456434749_thumb.jpg

Steve, another stunner. Congrats! Its a little chilly here but I'm thinking I need to go in the garage and try some prepping...

Regards, Chris

All done.... I didnt realise how big it was to be honest.... a 17 incher.... Quite a rare shell for the Somerset coast, certainly in this condition... Its lost a couple of ribs in the 150 foot tumble down the cliff but all in all a pretty nice specimen....

I think... Due to the nodes... Parcoroniceras charlsei....Upper Sinemurian north Somerset coast.....

post-1630-0-99039600-1456726999_thumb.jpg post-1630-0-01250200-1456727035_thumb.jpg

post-1630-0-29822800-1456727079_thumb.jpg

Kevin & Roger.... Thanks for your interest... It seemed a long prep job only managing an hour here and there but we got there in the end...