Carboniferous Bark Close Up

nala

I found my fertile frond to keep things ticking over until Nala visits the quarry again ;)....

post-1630-0-36804400-1348736828_thumb.jpg

If i could,i would run on the coal heap right now to find this! :envy:

Hi m friends

last find this morning Liévin basin (France)

a deep decortication ,Knorria

knorri10.jpg

Stigmaria with the central lignous cylinder

29_09_15.jpg

Edited by docdutronc

Bruno.... Yikes... The preservation on that last Alethopteris is fabulous... Top Drawer!

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Adventitious roots on fern trunk from Liévin basin .

Bruno

img_6110.jpg

img_6111.jpg

img_6210.jpg

Edited by docdutronc

AHA! Really great images! I am still wondering if the "adventitious roots" are the same as the leaf-like appendages that grew directly out of the trunk - always looking for evidence that the trunk structures could become either leaf-like appendages/branches, or roots...if I were a primitive arborescent fern, I would have the same structures adaptable to above or below ground morphologies/functions, including adventitious roots seeking water or mud. It's not clear from the literature what the purpose and form of the long "grass-like appendages" described as coming directly from the trunk, are distinct from the rootlets, or if the same structures turned into either photosynthesis structures (maybe succulent) or branches/stems or rootlets...still seeking clarification but getting closer with every post, picture and email!

By the way, did you see the posts about the boring insect holes in the bark? Those are really interesting and the discussion around what types of insects made those holes is cool - still thinking there must be more insect fossils at St. Clair, given all the plant material there.

Edited by hitekmastr

Is it supposed that the "adventitious roots" are from very low on the mature trunk?

These are very, very interesting!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Hi Auspex

quote : "Is it supposed that the "adventitious roots" are from very low on the mature trunk?"

these roots were likely very dense in the lower part of the trunk forming a sleeve or jacket, they were more sparse in the upper region of the trunk....

Best regards

Bruno

Bruno... Yikes...What is the 2nd specimen and where on the tree would this reside or what has led to this patternation?... Thats very unusual...

sigill18.jpg

img_7410.jpg

img_7411.jpg

Hi Steeve

Undoubtedly one end of young sigillaria, likely decorticated, scars tend to weld to the top of the stem who is conical ..

Best regards

Bruno

Edited by docdutronc

Bruuno... Thanks... Thats a very unusual find... I'd be made up with that one...

I have read in different books and articles that the number of leaf types and bark/trunk patterns don't match up - many more bark patterns than associated leaf types - does this mean the bark types and trees evolved while the leaves remained the same, or does it mean that there are more leaf types, or that the bark patterns and leaf types haven't been matched up or verified yet? Interested in any ideas why the paleobotanists say there are more bark patterns than leaf types...thx.

I have read in different books and articles that the number of leaf types and bark/trunk patterns don't match up - many more bark patterns than associated leaf types - does this mean the bark types and trees evolved while the leaves remained the same, or does it mean that there are more leaf types, or that the bark patterns and leaf types haven't been matched up or verified yet? Interested in any ideas why the paleobotanists say there are more bark patterns than leaf types...thx.

Maybe, just that on a given tree you could get multiple bark patterns from root to bole to tip but much lower variation in leaf morphology.

"They ... savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things."

-- Terry Pratchett

The thinking is that the lycopods had different "bark" patterns at different growth layers, which should also be evident from top to bottom.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

The thinking is that the lycopods had different "bark" patterns at different growth layers, which should also be evident from top to bottom.

Couple this with decortications and variations in levels of preservation and we soon have a LOT of different looking specimens...

Hi

Sometimes there are large variations in the same species, depending on the maturity, aging bark, their position at the top of the trunk, the condition of decortication, the taphonomy and conditions of fossilization are also factors multiplication of species and morphogenus .......

For leaves, specifically for the genus Sigillaria, they are often found detached, more rarely in connection, they vary little, except in length ......

img_4414.jpg

sigill15.jpg

Edited by docdutronc

quote : "Is it supposed that the "adventitious roots" are from very low on the mature trunk?"

these roots were likely very dense in the lower part of the trunk forming a sleeve or jacket, they were more sparse in the upper region of the trunk....

Auspex, Bruno...

The downward slope of the appendages suggested the possibility of adventitious roots close to the bottom moving toward water or mud like mangroves - but most are broken off and you indicate they are high up on the trunk, which suggests that they may simply be flattened and pointed downward, but originally more perpendicular to the trunk (??).

Couple this with decortications and variations in levels of preservation and we soon have a LOT of different looking specimens...

...not to mention that we are talking about millions of years and different climates and maybe adaptations to subtle climate changes that may not be apparent in the geology. When talking about a "narrow" geological period such as late Carboniferous, we're still talking about millions of years which allows for a lot of variation. Bird beaks can evolve differently in one season. Fern bark could be varying, given the times, although as many point out, "unforced" morphologies appear to remain intact pretty much indefinitely. And the variations in each tree (different leaves on the same tree for example and different bark patterns on the same tree) adds to the formula. We all expect things to be simple and complexity in biology is more the rule than exception!